Thread: Lap Timers

I'm considering buying a lap timer (with beacon) and was curious how others work their beacons/transmitters at the beginning of the race. Obviously you want this as close to the start/finish line as possible, but depending on which brand will determine how many beacons are on pit wall. Do those with different brands interfere with each other? Does anyone ever "forget" and include a second device causing interence? Also, any recommendations on which is the best? I've seen the AiM Mychron Light TG, the XT, and Hot Lap, any others? Seems most are in similar price ranges.

Thanks!
    Goran
    #62 ITA CRX
    Great Lakes Region

As long as they are all close together, multiple beacons won't screw things up. Most places require that the beacons are in one small area along the wall, and usually, people follow the rules.

The Intercomp has a "blanking interval" feature where it will ignore trips within X seconds of another trip. So I sent it 2 seconds faster than my fastest lap could be, and then if some yahoo places a beacon somewhere else on the track, it doesn't mess me up. Hotlap doesn't offer that feature.

BTW, you mentioned how people handle them at the race, but ... I don't use mine during a race. I don't need to know lap times during a race. I really only care during testing, practice, and qualifying.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Thanks, Josh for the information. Yes, I meant for only during practice/qualifying.
    #62 ITA CRX
    Great Lakes Region

I use during the race as well. counts laps and if I am alone it keeps me focused.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

XT Racing UltraLap was my favorite beacon type timer (http://www.cc-2000.com/xtracing/en/ultra-lap/index.html). Slower/Faster blinking LED is a nice touch as is the summary screen at the end of the session. You can set a minimum lap time, so any interference will be ignored. I used to sell them but couldn't beat Craig's pricing (http://www.laptimerholders.com/products.asp?cat=16) so I now I just send everyone his way. Tell him I sent you if you end up going that route. The AIM ones are probably second best, not as many features as XT, but maybe a slightly nicer/larger screen.

Keep in mind the cost of a nice beacon lap timer is 1/2 way to a entry level GPS based data logging device that will give you virtual beacons anywhere you want and give you performance information besides just time. For example, the Racelogic PerformanceBox. (I started a GB on those over on EliseTalk)
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

XT Racing UltraLap was my favorite beacon type timer (http://www.cc-2000.com/xtracing/en/ultra-lap/index.html). Slower/Faster blinking LED is a nice touch as is the summary screen at the end of the session. You can set a minimum lap time, so any interference will be ignored. I used to sell them but couldn't beat Craig's pricing (http://www.laptimerholders.com/products.asp?cat=16) so I now I just send everyone his way. Tell him I sent you if you end up going that route. The AIM ones are probably second best, not as many features as XT, but maybe a slightly nicer/larger screen.

Keep in mind the cost of a nice beacon lap timer is 1/2 way to a entry level GPS based data logging device that will give you virtual beacons anywhere you want and give you performance information besides just time. For example, the Racelogic PerformanceBox. (I started a GB on those over on EliseTalk)
    [/b]
    i have an xt that works well. i don't really use any of the features, but it's small and light compared to the hotlap, so it's still better imo.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I have the AIM with the bigger screen which is nice for old eyes. It has just enough features to give me what I want without being too over the top. I usually just walk out to the track edge before grid time and take a look, and there is a beacon already setup. I guess AIM is popular because I have only used MY beacon one race in the past two years.

Mac
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

I have the MyChron and the nice thing about having a popular model is that I rarely have to even put my transmitter out. But, even w/o mine, there were too many at Barber and too far apart. I was getting 1 lap time followed by a 2nd 5 sec. one and had to add them together.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

I have the MyChron and the nice thing about having a popular model is that I rarely have to even put my transmitter out. But, even w/o mine, there were too many at Barber and too far apart. I was getting 1 lap time followed by a 2nd 5 sec. one and had to add them together.
    [/b]
    Bill, You can set a delay in the programing so system will read the first beacon maybe a 45 second delay. Seems to work for us at this point we are still learning the system. T weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

I actually very much like having my lap times displayed during the race - instant feedback on performance of the loose nut behind the steering wheel! Of course, I'm using a data logger, an AIM system... but I do also notice I rarely have to hang my beacon out. Seems that the AIM uses an interchangeable signal with some other brand, I want to say Hot Lap?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

As long as they are all close together, multiple beacons won't screw things up. Most places require that the beacons are in one small area along the wall, and usually, people follow the rules.

The Intercomp has a "blanking interval" feature where it will ignore trips within X seconds of another trip. So I sent it 2 seconds faster than my fastest lap could be, and then if some yahoo places a beacon somewhere else on the track, it doesn't mess me up. Hotlap doesn't offer that feature.

[/b]
    not true actually, hot lap timers do this also. there is a default 5 sec blanking interval. you can't change it, but it prevents a second trip from someone else who has a hot lap xmitter on pit wall.