I just got the final word from the DOT and it is not required as long as you follow the rules listed below in Question 21 from the DOT website.

Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise" apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events? Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and ( the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was HIGHLY suggested that we carry a copy of this with us at all times. Also here is the number to DOT licensing 1-888-877-2181 Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm EST. that you can call if you get pulled over and have a problem.

" Not for Hire " decal's can't hurt but don't mean s___ if the guy is looking for a potential DOT violator. Knowing the law is the only thing that will help you.

Just some equipement suggestions they had in case we get pulled over.

1. Have road flares / or some kind of safety reflectors

2. Have a spare tire for both truck and trailer

3. Have a method of making the repair.

4. Don't have any sponsor decal's on the rig or trailer

5. Make sure the breakaway cable is attached properly

6.Make sure all lighting is functional

7.Vehicle and or trailer cannot be registered to a business ( I see many guy's towing with commercially used trucks , dump trucks, landscaping trucks etc.)

and most important of all now.....................

5.Have a copy of DOT question 21 !!!!!! and be prepared to answer question 1 & 2 correctly.