I am fully aware of the history behind the "split grid." But it's just that - history. Why are we still paying for a group that was poorly matced. (And "poorly matched" mainly because of the different handling characteristics of the classes. Sp7 had as much right to their racing habits as we do ours. You just need to learn to deal with it.) [/b]
1. With all due respect, no driver needs or should have to "deal" with drivers who think that running into their competitors is either permitted or par for the course. Nor do rights extend to failing to lock down a car when it is out of control. There also are the issues of courtesy and common sense - if a car in a different class has caught you (as in a generic "you" and not a specific "you") and is all over your tail end in the twistys (or actually passes you in the twistys) and then you (again, generic) use straight line speed to get past him, common courtesy suggests that you get out of his way and let him go. Common sense suggests that you get out of his bloody way and let him go because he's obviously faster in the sections that require skill and there are things to be learned by following him. Common sense also suggests that you (again generic) will be faster if you aren't fighting to keep him behind.

Perhaps I have the wrong view of these things, but there were drivers in my own class that I let by in the early stages of the race simply because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep them behind me for the entire race and by letting them through, I could go to school.

2. I did not mean to imply that you had suggested anyone had jumped. The polesitter does not determine when we accelerate by dropping their hand - we go when the end of the pit wall is reached by the polesitter. As for X-ray vision - I suppose that would be useful but it is not required. Simply knowing where you are on the front straight and your approximate distance behind the polesitter should provide sufficient information. Similarly, one is far more likely to see the pole sitter and the pit wall sitting in the fourth row then one is to see the green flag waved sitting in the 12th row.

I for one would prefer that we receive our "own" green flag. The stewards, however, will not do that, nor, to the best of my knowledge, have given reasons why they will not. Perhaps someone should ask them the reasons for their opposition at the open competition meeting. My sense is that the answer will be a long winded version of "because."