Split starts are stoopid - completely contrary to the basic assumptions of mixed-class group racing.[/b]
Ahhhh, but we don't do mixed-class groups because we want to do it. We do it because time constraints force us to do it. In a perfect world, we'd all be putting 50 cars in a single class out there for every group and class.

They don't eliminate problems, they just move them around. We all have to race on the same track, with the same chances of issue while negotiating the same traffic. Coping with it is one skill set that the discipline requires.[/b]
It does eliminate some of them and it changes many of the remaining.

With a combined start, cars not in your class who have better acceleration may get in front of you. He might park it in corners, but he's got a rocket attached to the back. Saw this at Kershaw with a Baby Grand - took off like a rocket on rails and kept moving backwards like a chicane after that.

Coping skills don't help you when people in the other class either see the red mist for the first two laps or when they have the philosophy "I'm in a spec class. You've got to bump to get past someone." Fine - but I'm not in your class. We had a string of MARRS events where drivers in a spec class took out cars in the non-spec class and it was all caused by first lap red mist. Stevie Spec might still be a chowder head when you catch him on lap 5, but by that point the rush has worn off and his special needs driving skill has left him out of contact with the next car in his class. (On the first lap, Stevie Spec most likely still is in contact with that car and is driving even more over his head than he normally does.)

** I don't want MY race messed up by other people's races - but I have no qualms about imposing my needs on others[/b]
Some might take this view, but when the leaders of the faster class are set to lap me, I consider whether the chances of me passing the car in front of me are high enough to screw up their race. So far, I've left my low odds chances sitting on the pavement and let the other class leaders through. It's called common courtesy and while I could hold my line and pace, it would really fubar their race.

** He's holding me up where I'm fast - but I'm NOT holding him up where HE's fast, y'know?[/b]
Hmmm, usually the issue is between fast in a straight line versus fast in the twisty bits. If the latter is holding the former up, it's called blocking. If its the former holding up the latter, it's called not knowing how to drive.