Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you mount your seat???

Although intriguing, I think that's unnecessary in a unibody design (vs tube frame, where it makes a LOT of sense.)
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Although intriguing, I think that's unnecessary in a unibody design (vs tube frame, where it makes a LOT of sense.)
    [/b]
    I don't know if I'd characterize it as "unnecessary". It may be overkill, or simply ambitious. Unnecessary indicates to me that it serves no valid function, which I would disagree with.

That being said, I mounted mine to a couple of steel straps attached to the factory mounts directly on the floor. Sorry no pics at present.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

I was doing my seat mount about a month ago and also didnt know what to do because of what the rules say. I was thinking of the same thing as Greg and sent this exact picture to the CRB and got shut down. They said someone could say that its adding additional reinforcement to the car.

[/b]
    This is a great example of precisely why we need to not ask questions through that kind of process. It's not binding in any helpful way (if they'd vetted it, you'd still be screwed if a protest found against you), and the negative responses create arguements for doing silly things - like building a seat mount that isn't as strong as what you've drawn.

Protest my seat mount, someone. Go ahead.

K

I'd say turn your tubes around, you've got that nice structural member that should run under the front of your seat and then the second just behind and below your rear cage tube. That should probably be the front and back of your seat mounts.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

...but you can't tie to the cage, then to the chassis. That's additional rollcage mounting points.

I'm not saying that is how it SHOULD be, just that it is.

K

No Kirk,

I'm talking about the chassis element you can see in the upper left of your picture. Run your main tubes horizontally instead of virtically like you have in your picture. I use a similar structure where the stock seat tracks mount to in the front and the rear has some double wall floor elements with threaded inserts.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Ah, sorry - I thought you were talking about that cage tube in the picture. Reading really IS fundamental, I guess.

K

On a VW, I'd think about where VAG put the stock load-bearing connections to the unibody. Given those carry the body load via the seat and at last one end of the seat belt, those metal areas must be quite stout. Other adjacent areas may not have the same strength/rigidity.