Thread: June Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The question for me on this is why do it? Other than wheel sizes, can't all SMs save the 99 run in ITA as is?

Seems to me that it is time to let the unbeleivable amount of changes to the ITCS and car sets for IT settle for a while. Change just to change or because it's just the latest brainstorm is not a good idea. A lot of changes, almost all good, have been made the last two years. I think it is time for a breather.

And the idea of putting the 99 SM in ITA using SM specs is just silly. Why have a dual classification for that car in IT? That should only be done in very RARE situations, like the recent issue with the ITR/S 325.

This is a small change that I'm sure came up as part of a "yeah that sounds good!" idea when it really is not. More a product of the culture of change than any real need itself.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The question for me on this is why do it? Other than wheel sizes, can't all SMs save the 99 run in ITA as is?

Seems to me that it is time to let the unbeleivable amount of changes to the ITCS and car sets for IT settle for a while. Change just to change or because it's just the latest brainstorm is not a good idea. A lot of changes, almost all good, have been made the last two years. I think it is time for a breather.

And the idea of putting the 99 SM in ITA using SM specs is just silly. Why have a dual classification for that car in IT? That should only be done in very RARE situations, like the recent issue with the ITR/S 325.

This is a small change that I'm sure came up as part of a "yeah that sounds good!" idea when it really is not. More a product of the culture of change than any real need itself. [/b]
    Actually Jeff, wheels in SM are perfectly legal in ITA. The above mentioned 'little' items make SM's technically illegal for ITA even though they are underprepared compared to their IT sisters.

- 90-93 diff allowance (different carrier as it applies to IT)
    - Exhaust rule
    - Restrictor plates

So even though many run double duty, they are potentially illegal (a 90-93 with Mazdacomp exhaust and 3 of the 4 allowed diffs would be 100% legal I believe). Requests have come in to avoid this situation. I would also hesitate to liken this to a dual classification. The ITR/ITS 325 is competitive and designed to fit in both as listed. The 99+ SM would be NO FASTER than the other SM's crossing over. The beef I have is that the other years would be able to mix and match IT-legal parts and still be technically legal so little would have to be 'worried about'. The 99+ would have to be signed, sealed and as delivered in SM trim to compete...just not worth the hassle IMHO. You could also run your 99+ in SM, ITS and ITA now. I just don't see the need. Just because it 'could', doesn't mean it 'should'. I can run my car in 3-4 classes now - just like many of us...IT(your class), ITE, DP and maybe a Prod class...so why do these guys double and triple dip - and we don't?

Eliminating the 99+ for a moment, why would the 90-97 be a BAD idea as you state?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967