Thread: How high do you rev your Z? My 260 is ill.......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The plugs did not show an overly lean condition at all -- I just don't think that is what happened although I agree it would appear to be the most likely cause.

Joe, you know my technical knowledge is lacking -- can you help me with a question? Why would the crank pulley turn 5 degrees or so, and the cam pulley NOT turn the same amount? Is it possible something happened to the crank and the pistons and valves did some smacking?

We'll get pictures up as soon as it is apart.

Thanks guys.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Joe, you know my technical knowledge is lacking -- can you help me with a question? Why would the crank pulley turn 5 degrees or so, and the cam pulley NOT turn the same amount? Is it possible something happened to the crank and the pistons and valves did some smacking?

We'll get pictures up as soon as it is apart.

Thanks guys.
    [/b]
    Hey Jeff the crank pulley is simply bolted on the end of the crank and has nothing to do with the cam gear, cam, or valve timing. The cam gear it secured on the crank and does not have play in it, and neither does the cam. Chain is properly tensioned too. I have not checked cam timing, but the pulley is independent of all that.

To be clear the crank pulley is what has about 5 degrees of play in it, and in the current state it allows one to turn the water pump and alternator a slight amount. I think the crank pulley has an inner and outer section (I've not checked yet) and the inner section has somehow become slightly detached from the outer section which allows some play in the plane of rotation, and, allows you to pull it fore and aft a couple of degress too.

Joe in between the CMP race and this race three weeks elapsed. But the car came straight off the trailer Sunday night from CMP and into my garage, which is at a nice 70F. I worked on it for three weeks, intermittently starting it from time to time to verify my wiring work. During this time it ran poorly, but I thought it was due to the frequent starting and shutdown and lack of revving. Where I live I can't fire up race motors much and definitely can't rev them over 1.5-2k or so, just when moving the car around. So, I figured all the rich starting and idling was causing the motor to sound poor and run badly.

I'll get lots of pictures up, I like pictures. Probably later in the week we'll have some photos of motor out and parts.

R