Dave,
I have the same problem you have. I watch Jim Daniels, Jim Drago, and the Saferacer bunch adjusting setups at the track all the time. They are able to make their cars EASIER to drive fast. My car can go fast (as Saini) proved, but it is not EASY to drive fast.
I have a strong feeling that if given the right crew person to keep the car setup right, I can lay down some good laps. Now as far as feedback, I seem to be able to only relate the extremes. The little things that maybe I should notice slip past me. I need someone who feels them to tell me what I should look for.
I will give you an example: My last race weekend at Hallett, I had a large lead in the first 4 laps of the race on a half dry, half wt track. I made a mistake and hit a slick spot that resulted in me ending up on a tire wall. After inspecting and fixing body work and straightenuing out the front toe, (Forgot to check the rear DUH!) I was ready for the next day race (or so I thought.) I had one of my best drives ever, going from DFL to first in class. The car was wild to drive, the rear end was everywhere. Even in that state I just adjusted to make it through the corners that were loose and kept going. (I think my less then optimum usual setup paid off, as a hard to drive car didn't seem too different.) Ignorance is bliss!
Back at the race shop the guys took a look and couldn't believe I raced at all with the subframe bent.
The moral is, I need to do what you are talking about and LEARN about setup... for my own good.

Mac