Thread: Rear axle ratios?

Ok have accumulated 2 extra Diff assemblies plus one in car all LSD. Are the housings marked any way to determine ratio with out counting gears ? I know about the 5:12 ratio (with some work) but a 4:88/4:90 has been mentioned. Thanks TW
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Are they set up?? Can't you just turn the input and count the revs?? Or am I missing something?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

All 5-speed cars had a 4.10 ratio except the GTUs which had a 4.30. All auto cars had a 3.90. Turn and count like Jake said or count teeth and divide if they're disassembled.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

Yes, the most common non-stock ratios for racing are 4.88 and 5.12.Both are pretty expensive because they're not manufactured for the 2nd gen. You have to buy a 1st gen gearset and have a very good shop cut the shaft off and weld a longer shaft on.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Marty,

Where are those ratios sources from? I only knew of them from various tuners who had actually done the work.

Good racing,

Thanks,

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

IIRC, you can buy either gearset from Mazda and have it sent to your shop. You also send them a donor diff. They cut the shafts of both the donor and the new gear and weld the long shaft to the new gear. Then they'll assemble the diff with the new gearset. I think ISC and maybe SpeedSource will do the work for you. I don't know if there are others.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Marty is right. You can buy a 4.10, 4.30, 4.44, 4.88 and 5.12 R&P from Mazdaspeed. The 88 and 12 need cusomization to work on the 2nd gen RX-7.

We are working with a partner to get these built as suppliers around teh country have dried up. Call Mike at ISC but I think he is done with them...

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I realize that I am a little late to this thread. Any word on new suppliers?

Thanks,
    Jason

ISC has (1) 5.12 in stock listed for $2450 on their site.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT