MK2 MR-2 in ITA

I was about to comment on the level of ADD here

I'd be interested to see how these cars end up, especially with a serious build. I think it could be a very competitive car

the MacStrut is a well done one, with the right springs it should be fine
the motor has the torque, but I wonder if the exahust side of the head will hold it back enough as to not make the power needed....

time will tell I guess....

Ken, don't know if it was mentioned in this forum, but my MR2 ITA project is stillborne for the time being. However, I have the design for the suspension all worked out; contact me if you're interested in pursuing it. - GA

for now, it'll have to be NASA Time Trials for me, just don't have the coin to pursue the build, cage, tow vehicle, trailer, etc. It'll take at least 1-2 years for me to get to that stage.

I'd love to hear what you had planned tho....

I'll also be watching other people that do pursue ITA with this car and see if theres anything to learn, and see if the car really is good enough to be a front runner! :)

In reference to the 2nd gen MR2 discussion i have a 91 MR2 that i ran in ITS last year (got waxed by the 240s , bmws.and 2nd gen rx7s) but hopefully ITA will be different. At the present i am instructing with NASA SE I went to R-atl but did not make it to R-ham. After april i will be racing with SCCA again (have to add the nascar bars) As for my car i have a for now stock engine with a 4 to 1 hot shot header cold air intake and re-prog ecu, by 6000 rpm it is done but it has been super reliable. for suspension Konis,ground control springs and bigger sway bars. The car is a blast to drive but one problem is the lack of room for front wheels i am running the stock 6in front and 7in rear wheels on 205/55 14 and 225/50 14 hoosiers . from what i can tell the car acts like a porsche in that it can under steer and can definately get tail happy. I have a new Quaife lsd to go in so i am hoping that will help it get through the turns, a performance engine is in the near future so maybe i can get more rpm, looking forward to further response on this subject,mike.

Somebody needs to get a serious engine program going on one of these. Could be an AWESOME ITA car!
[/b]
No, someone needs to come up with the CASH for an engine program; we've already done the research on it...

No, someone needs to come up with the CASH for an engine program; we've already done the research on it... [/b]

Well coming up with the cash, doing the research, building a motor and hitting the dyno would be synonomous with 'getting it going'. You stalled at the starting line... :)

Well Greg you also have a stront ITA contender in your pocket already. But i am sure on some years to come you will tire of it and have to go after another oddball car.

...you will tire of it and have to go after another oddball car.[/b]
I already decided that I will take the project back up when I can buy an ITA MR2 that's already been partially prepped and on the track. It will be:

- already stripped,
- already have the basic safety equipment,
- already have some of the performance items,
- probably be well taken care of, at least since it was turned into a race car, and
- probably not have any rust

When I can do that, I'll start thinking about jumping back in... - GA

Oh, you BASTARD.... [/b]

hell-freezes.jpg

You're driving the white one right?

we should compare notes at the next NASA event you can make it to :)
[/b]
Yes Ken i am in the white one, i plan to attend the R-Road event and do the instructor L-2 class.

No, someone needs to come up with the CASH for an engine program; we've already done the research on it...
[/b]
Tell me about the research on the 5sfe, i have been trying to locate good rods and or rod bolts, pistons are available as are reground cams and as you probably know SCCA limits C-R to + 1/2 point + 0.40 on overbore , only port matching and a multi angle valve job for the head.

Back