Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RADIO opinions

...And length matters, too.
    [/b]
    LOL... that's what she said...

Constructive input - yes, last I checked Rief is using a CB setup, pretty happy with that. I've been using a real cheap FRS setup for years, but I also have the equiv. of a short-track to work on - always line-of-site.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

has anyone out there used a CB radio in the car, with handheld cb's for the crew?

I've seen a CB in a BMW 2002 in the Northeast that runs in the vintage group. John Walsh also showed me his CB setup in his Miata.

What do others think about using a CB radio, either with the handheld mic and external speakers near the driver's head, or splicing into the mic wires and wiring for a helmet?
    [/b]
    We do that because we're cheap, the interface connection is universal (think "air") and it works. With a variety of drivers in/out of the car for looong enduros, trying to make sure that everyone's helmet rig & connectors are correct and WORKING is a monsterous PITA. We just avoid the whole issue. It's been working great for the last decade of running enduros, and for us there is no point in fixing something that isn't broke. Besides, you get to talk to truckers at 3am when you're bored on the back straight.

Use a large whip antenna in the pits, ground plane is our Pit Lane canopy. Coverage is 'whole track' at most places we run...but we do fight ignition noise at Oak Tree at VIR or down in the Boot at WGI. Nelson ? Ha ! we could use smoke signals or an Aldis lamp.

We're probably going to go to 'helmet speakers' for the 24 hour, since the Piņata is a whole lot noisier than the old Showroom Stock cars...but you can do that for about $20/helmet if you use the stuff that the bikers on the Hondabagos use.

Have several sets of VHF/UHF HT radios for the other cars...they work OK, but we like the ubiquity, utility & price of the CB stuff...mostly cuz we're cheap bastards....