Thread: IT Cars in Prod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sorry Andy I mis-read it, I swore I read taste. I guess that is what 6hrs of reading process papers on dead beat dads, and child abuse will do to you. I actually come and read here for a bit of a rest.

If the IT in cars are tied to the IT rule set then the prod rule making.....procedure will have nothing to do with the IT cars running in prod, these are IT cars not prod cars prod rule makers should have nothing to say about changing them.

Who would such a plan benefit? IT drivers, Prod drivers, and people that watch the races.

IT drivers? It will give them the ability to run national, and will give the ease into prod that is being looked for and still maintain the regional status of IT.

Prod drivers? Car counts, people to race against, classing newer cars as full prep or limited prep might be a little....smoother

Who would it hurt and why? IT, splitting the cars into prod and IT. Prod, watering down the production classes as we know them. Production car owners wondering why a 10k IT car is in the same class as their 100K prod car.

It is up to the folks that know so much more about both classes then I do to make the best decision. I still think it could be a good idea, and might get more people in to SCCA, we need to make some hard decisions to keep up with the NASA's of the world.

The runoffs is our best public outing, in every one they talk about costs of getting into racing. And every time it is a class that is 20+k to get started. I got started with a 4K car that came with 3 sets of tires. I doubt that an entrry level car would go up in price.

Who would such a plan benefit? IT drivers, Prod drivers, and people that watch the races.

IT drivers? It will give them the ability to run national, and will give the ease into prod that is being looked for and still maintain the regional status of IT.
    [/b]
    Could you expand on the "ease into prod" part? If I understand it, any IT car will be uncompetitive, unless the race entered happens to have sucky Prod cars. (I know, thats a very real possibility, just as IT has sketchy levels of competition across the events all over the country). And there is no plan to absorb IT cars into Prod "as is"....in a competitive way...so, to me, it's the exact same as it is now...we run with Prod classes in our run group at Regionals...except the races are longer, and, in theory, all the "better" Prod cars are at Nationals.

Prod drivers? Car counts, people to race against, classing newer cars as full prep or limited prep might be a little....smoother
    [/b]
    That last part is a big maybe...whats the reasoning or the rational behind it? Just curious as to the line of thinking.

Who would it hurt and why? IT, splitting the cars into prod and IT. Prod, watering down the production classes as we know them. Production car owners wondering why a 10k IT car is in the same class as their 100K prod car.
    [/b]
    An interesting aside there. I've watched some Prod cars not sell on ebay for reasonble sums...good cars with known history too. And I have a friend who had a similar situation....he couldn't get two nickles for his EP car. In the end, parting it out was the best way to recover as much $ as possible. I'd submit any car is worht what it can be sold for...and in that light, many IT cars are actually worth more than many Prod cars.

But, I get your point, and there is a real sense among many Prod drivers that IT drivers will bash their way around the track, destroying the fragile handmade bodywork of the Prod cars.

It is up to the folks that know so much more about both classes then I do to make the best decision. I still think it could be a good idea, and might get more people in to SCCA, we need to make some hard decisions to keep up with the NASA's of the world.

The runoffs is our best public outing, in every one they talk about costs of getting into racing. And every time it is a class that is 20+k to get started. I got started with a 4K car that came with 3 sets of tires. I doubt that an entrry level car would go up in price.
    [/b]
    I'm interested in hearing the how and why behind the boldened statement. What mechanism do you see occuring to make that a reality?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com