VW has certainly demonstrated an absolute lack of good sense for a long time. The A1 GTI played a huge part in creating a new, adolescent customer base after years of Bell Labs types driving stodgy Beetles.
Then the A2 GTI was hugely successful in creating a huge cult-like youth market.
Then came the A3 in 93, and no GTI until 97? WTF were they thinking?
The Golf !V: bigger but not much better.
The new Golf V? Way over 3,000 lbs! A neat car (I drive one) but hardly seat of the pants anymore.
I wish they'd bring over a GTI Polo and get back to basics. (I wish IT would too!)
Intersting thing though, this new GTI cup with 2.0Turbo DI gas motor
and DSG sequential boxes. Working on a FBW (fly by wire) steering wheel throttle ring has been satisfying some of my grief of not having my ITB car lately.
I've already got a killer brake/hand throttle FBW in the street car; If I could resolve some problems with the steering wheel throttles, I could sure drive the hell out of it! Hmm.
phil
[/b]
Phil,

They had A3 GTI's prior to '97, it was just that they only came w/ a VR6. That being said, I totally agree w/ you, VW has lost their way in terms of what made them so popular w/ enthusiasts to begin with. I refuse to call that new, bloated pig a 'Rabbit'. It may be inexpensive (compared to similar cars of today), but it's no Rabbit, that's for sure. That's like that Korean thing Pontiac had in the 90's that they called a LeMans.