Do any of you suffer from burnout?[/b]
Absolutely. That's exactly why I:

- Bought a Toyota MR-2 to build for ITA,
- Spent $2500 in initial parts for it,
- Stripped the interior out,
- Started working on the underside.

At that point I started removing the plastic undertrays (the entire underside of the car is covered in nice smooth plastic trays.) The first small bolt was rusted and broke off. Then the second one broke. Then the third. Then I looked under the car and made a quick count of how many of those were left.

Then I went inside and read through my blogs of five years of building the NX2000. Then I opened up Quicken and totalled what I'd spent developing the NX2000. Then I opened up a web browser and put the Toyota MR-2 up for sale. It's gone now...

I decided I really didn't want to go through that journey all over again, at least not now. Too much of my life has been spent on this, it was time for a change.

I've burned out many times over the last two decades of club racing. The big one was 1992, when I literally hung up the race helmet after the podium finish at the '92 Runoffs. I decided then and there I was not going to do this again until I could afford to pay someone to do it right. I got really tired of spending every waking hour working on my car, just so I could go around in circles a few times a weekend.

Believe me, brother, I know how you feel.

But, there's that sense of accomplishment that "mustanghammer" mentions. I've always got some project hanging around to work on, especially over the winter. Last year it was rebuilding two Honda Gyros from parts (one is for sale!), the year before that it was building a Spec Miata, the year before that rebuilding the Honda CB550. Before that it was totally rebuilding and turbocharging a Rabbit Diesel. A couple year before it was a K100RS, and there was an Audi 200tq and an E-250. Somewhere back there was an airplane project, and a few house and garage projects, and some diesel van projects.

The key thing, though, for those projects was a complete lack of deadlines. I could finish those whenever I felt like it, I didn't HAVE to get them done in time for racing season. And that's the big difference. I like those; I'll probably build a kit car someday soon (SR20DET or VE-powered Lotus 7 sounds nice). But they'll always be "whenever" projects.

The ideas others presented above are very good for getting over the "blahs". You can choose to put off racing for awhile, or you can do what it takes to get motivated and going. Choice is, truly, yours...