Actually I am an AEM dealer and I sell Motec as a side line. So the fact is I would make a boatload more money if this rule was to pass. I do burn chips for a couple of nissans but most have done all of that type of work for myself out of necessity because I could have never afforded to pay someone to do it for me and I cold never have afforded to by the others. You can take all the punk shots at me you like I make my argument based on history and back it up with a principled reason for my action. the fact is your ecu is not your problem the fact that you are unwilling to accept your system is easier to be tuned than the later stuff we are dealing with is your problem. This is my last response to you as you appear to want to make me the issue and I am tired of it.
[/b]
Joe, the reason I don't agree with your point of view has nothing to do with my car. You keep telling me that I can do what I need to do with what I have and I should feel lucky because a lot of other guys are a lot worst off. Well that is my issue. The rule is unfair for some guys as it stands (not me, my box is huge) The rule you suggest is unfair to some guys and benifits others. Taking away a guy's investment is unfair. (yeah yeah, I know, they were exploiting a loophole) We have an opportunity to write a rule that is fair for everyone. You don't think open ECUs are in the spirit of IT, fine, stock ECUs only.
If I was arguing for my own sake, I'd be pushing for open ECUs with any sensors and open wiring. I'd build a megasquirt for less then $300 in parts and I'm a computer whiz so I'd have no problem writing the open source code to do anything my diabolical little mind could dream up.