So IT will be destroyed by making readily available, easy to use, and cheap ECUs legal, and the solution is for Joe racer to start his own ECU programming business so he can stick to the stock hardware. Joe, your logic escapes me.
[/b]
I don't know about any of these rules in discussion destroying IT either way. Over time the way we handle such items probably will have an impact, and some sort of consistent direction will help this, but I feel that the ITAC is working hard to provide that consistency.

Some guys can't find a decent differential, or bushings, or air dam, or strut brace, or fill in the blank for their chosen car. They have to design/build or pay someone else to do that too. The car you pick is the car you have, warts and all. If there is no chip tuning available, that is one of the downsides of that car. It may not mean it can't be done, and if it can't you can probably use other methods to get the fueling right anyhow, but it means it hasn't been done.

The actual tuning will be the real expense of an aftermarket ecu, unless you have access to a free dyno.