Wheels

OK, after going over Greg's chart (my head was spinning like Linda Blair in the Exorcist :wacko: ) and getting some pretty good info from different places, I got a pretty good idea of what I was up against. Since 30 offset is what the miata needs I had to figure that in also. My solution actually came right down the street at my friendly local (chain) tire store. Enkie RP-F1 41 offset 15X7 (((((9.8))))))POUNDS $185. I have some 10mm spacers on the way to get me close to 30 offset so things should be good.

Greg add these wheels to your chart and it should become a Wheel Sticky for the Forum!

Thanks for all the info especially the chart as it made me think hard on how far and how much I need to do. (And at what cost.)
The other cool thing was I found another place to buy tires pretty cheap. I still plan on using the tire services at the tracks, (buying and mounting) but it is nice to have several local options.

Mac
[/b]

wouldnt you have to add in the weight of the spacers to compare? a 10mm deep alum probably weighs like 1-2 lbs?

OK, after going over Greg's chart (my head was spinning like Linda Blair in the Exorcist :wacko: ) and getting some pretty good info from different places, I got a pretty good idea of what I was up against. Since 30 offset is what the miata needs I had to figure that in also. My solution actually came right down the street at my friendly local (chain) tire store. Enkie RP-F1 41 offset 15X7 (((((9.8))))))POUNDS $185. I have some 10mm spacers on the way to get me close to 30 offset so things should be good.

Mac [/b]

These wheels are all the rage in WC and GAC. We have a couple Miata's here that run them...they are sweet!

Has anyone ever compared MOI on different wheels? Adding to Greg's post...I wonder how much of the weight is coming off the hub for the light 1 piece wheels. IMHO the only way to get significant lower MOI would be to go to 2 or 3 piece wheels where you can start with the uber-light barrels and real forged centers out of magnesium. My thinking is that casting the single piece wheel means you can't have thin barrels/hoops.

I have the sensors to make my MOI measuring but I need to rig a way to consistently drive the wheels.

:birra:

I was guessing that he's talking about Moment Of Inertia, and how weight at the edges of a rim hurts more than weight in the center. Of course, tires become the limiting variable in that game.....

AG, You know that question was way over my head. I am doing good just to get my feet on the pedals and hands on the wheel.

BTW, I need you to look at his video setup I have, if you come to MSR. I need tech advice.

Jake nailed it. MOI=Moment of Inertia

Yep, tires dominate but my post was more to try to figure out how much benefit you get out of a 10lbs. one piece wheel vs. a 13lbs one piece wheel vs. a 10lbs. 2-3 piece wheel.

AG, You know that question was way over my head. I am doing good just to get my feet on the pedals and hands on the wheel.

BTW, I need you to look at his video setup I have, if you come to MSR. I need tech advice.
[/b]

With "wintry mix" at a 60% chance on Saturday for Cresson, and 40% on Sunday, I seriously doubt there will be any racing going on this weekend Mac.

You need to come down to the kart challenge at Iron Rock instead to get your racing fix...shoot me an e-mail with your video question needs if you want.

Speaking of wheels...
i have been looking for some 13x6 for my rabbit...
Panana sport wants $218 a piece...
any ideas??
tire rack and such doesn't list any 13 wheels.

Tim

Tim.....have you called performance wheel and tire? He said he could work with us on rims when I was there last.... Just a thought

your loser neighber, who never gets to race......Jeremy

Because of this thread, I just dropped $1800 on a set of 9 lb 15X7 Volk wheels out of my Christmas bonus. Yee haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

knestis,
will those wheels fit on a vw rabbit? [/b]
I don't know. You'll need to check what the center bore is. I know that Jon races a Honda so they should be 4x100. Get in touch with him and I'm sure he'll give you the info you need.

K

I picked those 13s up from Jon, and they just arrived today. I will let you know how they work on my Golf. Unfortunately they are not actually 10lb wheels, they are 12.xx lb wheels. That would not bug me as much if I had not emailed Jon and asked him if they were in fact the 12.xx lb wheels that Superlight lists on their website, and he confirmed that they "are 10lb wheels" :018: .

EDIT Likely an honest mistake, but frustrating nonetheless after shipping them across the country..

Just a quick note that as I suspected it was an honest mistake. John has been able to make it right by me, and is a stand-up guy :happy204: .

Hey Chris,

upstanding????He e-mailed me on saturday told me they were mine and then again on sunday he sent me the pay pal info.Went to work got ready to send money on monday morning and he e-mailed me back saying they were sold!!At least they went to a person that is helpful on this site.

Tim

Back