"What about insurance???? what if the car breaks and breaks your renter from the neck down? now your friends wife wants money!!"

Lawrence, I could be wrong but I believe that when we submit an entry/sign the waiver we are waiving any claims against the SCCA, the sponsoring Region, the track, and competitors for anything arising out of the conduct of the event. However, I question whether that waiver would stand up in the face of gross negligence or intentional acts. I just read where a QB is suing a team because the team mascot hit him prior to the game in golf cart. I believe that players have been sued or even prosecuted for assault on the field - e.g. taking off your helmet and pounding the other guy. If another driver intentionally puts you in a wall and you are seriously injured, I'd talk to a lawyer before assuming you had no case. As to the lessor of a car, I'm pretty confident that our ins. would cover simple negligence. But I would put a waiver in the contract anyway. And I would ALWAYS have a written contract.