Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air impact gun/wrench

I've got the same electric one that Jeff has, and I like it. Although, it will struggle w/ really tight lug nuts (almost left out the 'lug' ). As anyone that saw us swap the tranny at the VIR 13 hr knows, we needed the air gun w/ the N2 bottle to get the p/s off. I haven't 'pulled the trigger' on a cordless, but if I find the right deal on an 18v DeWalt, I'll get it. I only need the gun, as I have 8-10 batteries already.

For pneumatic, it's hard to beat an IR gun for the $$$. I've used the Snap-On guns, and they are nice, but they're a lot of $$ for something you're not going to use every day. Hard to beat an IR 231. I've got an old Craftsman that I bought 20 years ago (I think it was made by C-P) that works fine. Needs some air behind it for really tough stuff, but it gets the job done.

I bought a new IR 2135Ti off eBay and picked it up tonight at the post office. Of course I had to run home and give it a try. First bolt, I tried for quite some time by hand (long lever and other methods) - zip, comes right off. Damn! This is awesome! Next bolt, well, it&#39;s still on the car. I let the compressor build back up, but it just wouldn&#39;t budge. Then the next bolt, same thing. <sigh> I went over to the axel nuts which I even used a 10 foot fence post as my leverage bar (didn&#39;t budge then) and the gun worked.

Maybe I was expecting too much given my compressor? Yeah, it&#39;s one of the smaller home units - not super duper small and portable but definately not large either. I&#39;m trying to get some suspension bolts off.

Wednesday is gonna be date night! I have to say, I&#39;m not really looking forward to it too much. I will bring some beer with me to the garage so hopefully things will go easier. Oh, can&#39;t forget a torch, big hammer and lubricant.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Crank up the pressure all the way, use PB Blaster.. (NOT anything else, LOL) and MAP gas and see how it goes.

Keep extinguisher near....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I was on another forum and someone mentioned that Pep Boys was selling a 24V battery 1/2" impact wrench that worked great and only cost $65. I could not believe it but there were a few people that swear by it. I bought one to try and I cant believe how powerful it is. It took the lug nuts off my father in-laws 1 ton Dodge dually no sweat. The race car is a piece of cake. You can&#39;t go wrong for $65, it says Goodyear on it but it&#39;s made in China. Last week they had a $10 rebate on it.
    [/b]
    Got a part number on that? sounds like a great Christmas gift but I can&#39;t find it at pep boys online (lousy shopping site)