If the typical factors say that the 944 is a fit in A at (whatever weight), and if it can't reach its formulaic weight in S, it should be an A car.

What that particular engine will or won't make, in terms of IT-prep power gains, is one factor that gets considered when choosing what car to race - but should NOT be when setting its weight. Using different math because nobody has made one make the expected power (or because it costs a bundle to do so) is a problematic approach to managing the category - EVEN IF it puts this particular car at a disadvantage in this respect.

The 944 should handle and stop great and as mentioned, there's a parts supply line and knowledge base for this chassis. Should a model with an inherently bad weight distribution get a break? Should someone running something that requires expensive, handmade, custom bits run at a lighter weight because it's inherently harder to make it competitive?

(Understand here that I'm not a big fan of the hair-splitting "struts vs. A-arms" details that are getting applied. I think they may go a step too far, in and of themselves - even if they are applied by physical attribute rather than to individual models.)

Three steps down that path and we're there, guys - adding and subtracting weight, and making model-specific allowances ("...limit power to 140 rwhp??" - yikes), and based on what? Lap times? Finishing positions? It's not a good trade-off.

K

EDIT - the more I think about this, the more worried I get by the evidence that we are collectively getting sucked into this. I've seen suggestions this winter of things like "the ECU is impossible to tune" get floated as factors that should be considered when classing and spec'ing new cars. Danger, danger, danger.