MK2 MR-2 in ITA

Greg Amy

Administrator
I see in this month's Fastrack that the CRB is recommending the MK2 MR-2 into ITA at its current weight of 2545 pounds. I can see myself building one of these...

If this goes through, I can see myself building one of these...[/b]

Dude, you've spent years developing and building your car, it gets moved to ITA and you're doing extremely well with it. Now you want to start from scratch all over? Ah, what the heck. Build me one too! :lol:

Dude, you've spent years developing and building your car, it gets moved to ITA and you're doing extremely well with it. Now you want to start from scratch all over? Ah, what the heck. Build me one too! :lol:
[/b]

Dave,
It's called AADD: Auto Attention Deficit Disorder.

Screw the MR2, I'll buy the Nissan over-dog!!

Greg -

I had a 91, turbo though. The wheels are smaller and the suspension geometry different. The car rotates better than a 93-94, which has larger rear wheels and has more understeer dialed in.

I THINK that the 93/94s can be "fixed" using springs, etc. -- don't the stock AutoX guys have to run stock stuff?

I can't recall what the difference in power was on the N/A motors. 5 or 10? That motor is considered a dog amongst the MR2 crowd. Not sure how much more you may get in IT trim.

There is an MR2 website that I will try to dig up with good info on both cars. The Autox (and there are a lot) can point you in the direction of speed parts. My perception was that the car was actually pretty well supported by the aftermarket tuner crowd.

Greg,

I used to race a Mk I (AW11) MR2. Loved the car, but it couldn't compete in ITA. The SW20 car (mk II) should be a great ITA car (probably a bit light at it's ITS weight. ITAC members, what's the process weight for it in ITA?).

Performance parts are another story. Toyota used to have a race support program run through TRD. You could order OEM stuff at essentially 50% off of dealer list. The race parts were expensive and hard to get. Most came out of TRD-Japan. IIRC, an LSD and better R&P for the AW11 was somewhere around $1500, 10 years ago).

Greg, I have a 91 mk2 mr2 I drive on the street. The only difference in engine is I believe 130 to 135hp. Its the same engine. Like others have said the stock suspension is suppost to be different on the later models, but for IT It wouldnt matter i dont think. On my car I have 4 way adjustables with tein s tech springs. I also have an aftermarket exhaust manifold from ssautochrome. Its a fun car to drive.

you can get some really good info from www.mr2oc.com you will have to register I think.
Hope that helps some

-Mark

I see in this month's Fastrack that the CRB is recommending the MK2 MR-2 into ITA at its current weight of 2545 pounds. I can see myself building one of these...
[/b]
Fastrack came out today, as of 1-1-07 its a done deal.

2545lbs, 135 stock hp, mid-engine, & rear-wheel drive. Hmmm, sounds very possibly competitive to me. What kind of suspension do those cars have? How's the torque numbers?

McPherson struts all around, 145 ft-lbs torque...

(For you Honda guys, "torque" is the force that twists the crankshaft; you know, causes acceleration without a billion RPM...?)

Hahaha! Funny you should post that Tim. :lol: Not that you have any interest in Greg's eggo car.
[/b]
Actually, its worth more to me in Greg's hands right now.
He's made me an offer I can't refuse....
:D

McPherson struts all around
[/b]
Ugh, that just makes my ears bleed.

(For you Honda guys, "McPherson struts" is a cost cutting, space saving, inferior suspension design that creates negative roll centers and mobile chicanes on the track that hold up the unbelievable cornering ability of your sweet, F1 inspired, independent, upper and lower arm suspension equipped Honda.)

:happy204: :cavallo:

Ugh, that just makes my ears bleed.

(For you Honda guys, "McPherson struts" is a cost cutting, space saving, inferior suspension design that creates negative roll centers and mobile chicanes on the track that hold up the unbelievable cornering ability of your sweet, F1 inspired, independent, upper and lower arm suspension equipped Honda.)

:happy204: :cavallo: [/b]

Yup, just like in Greg's NX2000. :P

will they let us use the paddle shifter model? that would bring them out of the wall paper for sure. i would have to have one of those.

will they let us use the paddle shifter model? that would bring them out of the wall paper for sure. i would have to have one of those.
[/b]

uh....no.

And I bet you'd hate it if you actually tried to race with it.,

i've always been curious how they compared to the Fiero. what's the power band? what rpm range? ect? anyone have the numbers side by side?

Back