Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rollbar 100 sq. inch rule and older used cars

Improved Touring has NEVER allowed "tabbing". In fact, the original rules were a 6-point bolt-in rollcage.

Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. It may have been done, it may have been (intentionally) overlooked, but it was never legal. - GA

Seen them tabbed in 25 places so there is no way it counted as a mounting point. Its been a long time ago for me but I seem to have seen pictures of the tabbing and were it was allowed. Dont have a book right now nor the interest to go that far but it will make the cage stronger and the (other) stuff as well. NASA wont let you and I'm not sure about PCA or BMW clubs. My point here is it makes no sense to restrict mounting points and them allow tabbing,but I know its done.
    [/b]
    HUGELY illegal, and I am surprised that if it really was an IT car that it didn't get protested, and PDQ.

Any attachment between any part of the cage OTHER than the 8 allowed (and specified) locations is not, and never has been legal.

My car has the cage forced into contact in many areas, but it isn't attached mechanically. (welded, bolted, etc.)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The last version of my car had a few tabs I was aware of and quite a few I was not. I did not cut through the ones I could see as it would have required a saw and blade I did not have and I was too lazy to fool with it. If someone protested I would do what was necessary to correct the situation.

When I cut the old shell off of the roll cage it became apparent that there were a few additional tabs I did not know existed when the shell would not come off the roll cage. :huh:
    Tom Sprecher

what about the nascar type door bars. two or more hoz bars with several vert. spacers makes for a good safe door. them they take the last hoz bar and weld a vert bar to the floor or valance. May only be 2 inches long. is this an extra connection point? seen a lot of them too.

what about the nascar type door bars. two or more hoz bars with several vert. spacers makes for a good safe door. them they take the last hoz bar and weld a vert bar to the floor or valance. May only be 2 inches long. is this an extra connection point? seen a lot of them too.
    [/b]
    Yes it is counted as an attachment point. You may only attach to the main 6 points and the optional 2 to the firewall--PERIOD. Anything else you saw or thought you heard is illegal. If it is welded to the cage and the body it counts.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I've seen where the vertical bar you describe touches the floor and is used as a jacking point support.

Tom Sprecher

Tabbing is legal in prod and common in pro rally. the one gray area that I wish was legal for sure is when you have a cradle for the seat and in is attached to the main hoop and or door bars and then to the tunnel. I have seen some nice designs that I think are better than attaching to the floor but I do not know how it is not an attachment.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

If you come see me at VIR I can do your annual for 07. Just be sure to have door bars, belts, etc checked. I will be doing a Tech day in Asheville area and I think we will be doing one in Charlotte as well. I will be sure to have stickers with me. Are you planning to attend Goblins Go?
    [/b]
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on that, providing your're not wiring up a exhaust :P ....
    I'm registered but currently without motivation, literally. I do have a Stroker engine and a tired race engine I've used last 2 years, 3-4 70,000 -80,000 mile stockers. I will be finishing up my motorvator any day now. Can't rush perfection.
    I really hope to see you guys there.

david
    30 year old ITS car

I have a question about a possible addon to my cage,

I have an 85 itb crx, and it has a little rust in the corners of the floor, its an autopower bolt-in with the standard sandwich arrangement.

I would like to add larger, welded in plates under the existing pads, then bolt them back down as before, just for added peace of mind.

Would that be a problem? if so, any other suggestions? Im not comfortable with an all welded-in setup, as the floors on these old hondas are super thin, and wavy, plus mines a lil rusty.

I raced an E/prod car and just may have gotten this mixed up with IT. Sorry about that didnt want to start anything uphill here. I do however like the seat mount on the cage install and think this should be allowed in the interest of safty even at the risk of someone bending the rules. Lawrence