Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel Bearings & Hubs...

I had the grease escape from my left front last weekend during the Sat. race at IRP. Pulled the spindle and ran home (20 minutes) to replace the hub/bearing. Returned and put it back together, torqued the axle nut and the bearing locked. Removed the assembly, inspected and reassembled and voila! - same result. Back to the shop with spindle, removed bearing/hub and put new together. Back out in the morning, put the spindle back on the axle shaft and snugged the nut down. Same thing, locked the bearing. Lightly tapping with a small ball peen on both bearing/hub assy's freed up the bearing until they were again tightened. When I pressed the bearings into the spindle, I pressed on the outer race, and pressed the hub into the bearing using the inner race. The bearings are FAG's and the hubs are Brax. I have done this procedure a few times and this was the first time I have had this problem. Perplexing, to say the least. Anyone else seen this aggravation?
    [/b]
    Two possibilities that I can think of. Same CV joint? Same inner circlip? The circlip designed for the 100mm CV joints has more clearance than the one designed for the 90mm CV joints. Thus, if you use a 100mm joint with a wider circlip designed for a 90mm joint, it may lock when the nut is tightened.

[A]lso, arent these sealed breaings? The reason I ask is that someone mentioned about using synthetic grease to pack the bearings. Mabye it was the rears they were refering to.
    [/b]
    The front bearings are sealed, but it's still possible to carefully remove the grease seals (carefully because they must be reused) and press in the new synthetic grease.
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

Eric,
    Same CV & clip, all I replaced were the wheel bearing and hub. Bearing&#39;s a bearing and hub&#39;s a hub - or so I thought. <_<
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Eric,
    Same CV & clip, all I replaced were the wheel bearing and hub. Bearing&#39;s a bearing and hub&#39;s a hub - or so I thought. <_<
    [/b]
    Just to be sure, is there any possibility that the inner and outer circlips got swapped? Obviously it wouldn&#39;t matter if they were identical, but since the outer doesn&#39;t need the extra clearance they may not have been...
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

Just to be sure, is there any possibility that the inner and outer circlips got swapped? Obviously it wouldn&#39;t matter if they were identical, but since the outer doesn&#39;t need the extra clearance they may not have been...[/b]

I believe the clips are the same, but I will pull the inner clip and snug the nut back down and see what happens. This is a little perplexing to say the least.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Ok, this is totally unracecar related, BUT related to wheels and hubs. Bob and I are fixing brakes for a lady on her 95 Toyota 4wd V-6 Pickup. We cannot for the life of us get the front hub off to replace the rotor. Does ANYONE have any suggestions or maybe know of something we may have missed? We had a hell of a time getting the caliper off. She overheated the damned things so bad the pistons welded themselves to the backing plates of the no longer existant pads. You can just imagine what the rotor looks like. This woman has no money to spend and is a royal pain in the tukus but we have to be nice since she owns the garage we rent. (By the way, we are looking to rent a better one for cheap money in Loudon if anyone knows of one. This one leaks like crazy.)
    Thanks.
    A Race Junky from the Get Go......

I found this link about replacing hubs in Toyota 4x4&#39;s....it might be of help to you...good luck!

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

Scott Neville
    #44 Nor Cal GTI-Cup
    2004 GTI-Cup Champion

Thanks, but the truck we&#39;re working on is newer and does not have these type hubs. Darn. But you got me wondering and gave me an idea.
    Thanks again!
    A Race Junky from the Get Go......