Thread: ECUs....is it time?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Open it up, along with modded or completely removed stock harness.[/b]
    Let's explore John's idea a bit; I'm intrigued. What's the risk of simply opening it all up? How will adding sensors and outputs affect the prep level? After all, what Jake's proposing (and I support) is the idea to make currently allowed mods easier and cheaper, without opening holes for increased prep level.

ECU tuning is allowed now. What is the marginal risk of allowing additional sensor input (e.g., wide-band O2 sensor, temp sensors, position sensors)? I suggest that allowing additional sensor inputs will produce minimal returns over what you can do now. What's the risk of allowing additional outputs? Honestly, I'm drawing a blank as to what outputs we could use, but it's early and I haven't had my fourth cup of coffee yet...

Really, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is using wheel speed sensors to create some kind of traction control, but even that has little value in classes ITA and below; besides, it's not particularly difficult to program to limit the rate of acceleration of an engine, thus doing "traction control" now...

Dunno, John, you may have a point. Barring someone coming up with some clever way of abusing such an idea, it may have merit... - Greg

Really, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is using wheel speed sensors to create some kind of traction control, but even that has little value in classes ITA and below; besides, it's not particularly difficult to program to limit the rate of acceleration of an engine, thus doing "traction control" now...

Dunno, John, you may have a point. Barring someone coming up with some clever way of abusing such an idea, it may have merit... - Greg
    [/b]
    Open it on up - the engine is an air pump and can't produce more power than the mechanical limitations. Naturally, tweeking the ECU allows you to extract more of the available power. And having an open ECU rule will allow even more of that, but it'll level the playing field for ECU cars.

As far as traction control or limiting wheel spin, a simplistic wheel spin (when both spin) has been available in modified MSD boxes for years. Sample the spark timing, reference to RPM, take the derivative and when it exceeds a certain value cut spark because you know you've got wheel spin. Was a common cheat on roundy round and no doubt has been in an SCCA car somewhere.

It'll be easier with open ECUs, but cheating is illegal with or without an open ECU.

I've been a big fan of the Megasquirt and have followed it for years on the forums and web sites. Good stuff for those interested and completed ones can now be bought, no more soldering, masking boards, etching, etc. There are lots of hobbist on the Megasquirt forums who offer install packages on your engine and tuning help for few dollars. The Megasquirt can offer good control over an engine and sort of deflates the "I have to spend $5000 for a Motec" argument.

Ron