I am far from an endurance expert but I would always think that lighter is better for long distances and duration.

Maybe the best of all worlds might be the E46 325ci at 2800lbs. You get the light weight plus the E46 suspension along with the 200+whp potential. A full 480lbs lighter than the 330's. Would you trade 40whp for almost 500lbs? Boy, I would. Each car will have it's strengths for sure. Yes - that is the car I would build. The E46 325 Coupe from 01 to 02.

I am very sceptical of the guys who say the E36 325 is a midpacker in ITR. The car is light compared to the higher HP cars and can make tremendous power if people prep to the rules. The fact is that when these skeptics look at the initial classification choices, no overdog is apperant. This is the result of being able to design the class using the 'formula' from the very beginning. As in every class, the cream will rise to the top. I would think the E36 and the Honda Challenge Integra Type R's would be at the front early as development work is done.