Actually Marty my crew chief and I just decided to add a manual bypass that we will open up until the oil is warm. After the oil is warm then we will close it and pass the oil through the coolers.

Eric

Michael, I am using an Autometer SportComp mechanical oil pressure gauge and everything work well when the oil is hot.

Thanks for the help

Eric
[/b]
How did you bypass or remove the thermostat in the cooler? When we install a factory cooler we insert a slug that seals off the thermostat bypass ports in the cooler. This forces the oil to circulate through the cooler at all times. A prod racer friend of mine turns the bypass slugs on his lathe

I run two 1st gen coolers in series and initial gauge response is slower with two coolers than it was with one. However, once pressure is up it stays up and the gauge reacts normally when I rev the motor - cold or hot. I have 78psi at anything over 2500 regardless of temperature. The car runs cool now even in 100 degree weather. I am also using an Autometer gauge plumbed with -3 braided lines.

If you are concerned about a "dry" start up you could add an Accu-sump and use it to prelube the motor. I used one in my old Solo II Mustang and it worked well for this - lots of engine starting in Solo II. It also solved oil starvation problems that are common in a 302 Ford.