Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ARRC Budget

It's flexible. The car and equipment must be there for the test day Friday. It's possible that, due to an utter lack of vacation time left, I may have to fly in. Thus, Matt will be forced to drive the rig down, and would certianly love to have company (Dave...? Melissa...?) Best guess, figure leaving Tuesday, staying overnight somewhere that night, then arriving at Road Atlanta at a leisurely pace Wednesday. If absolutely necessary, it can be done in one LOOOONG day (we left RA at 7:00 AM Sunday last year, and arrived at my house at midnight same day...)

For cost references, my last year trip was 2139 miles using 278 gallons (including travel to and from the track), averaging 7.7 mpg at an average $2.28 per gallon, for a total gasoline expense of $632. We are most fortunate in that our ace co-crew chief, Tim Rogers, lives in nearby Sugar Hill and loves to have overnight company that feeds and beers him well.

Also, don't forget that vacation season is coming to a close, and gas prices are expected to begin dropping. Those of us that remember last year will recall that gasoline this very day a year ago was approaching and surpassing $3 per gallon in the wake of hurricane Katrina. By the time the ARRC rolled around the prices had decreased dramatically (as my average cost above indicates.) So, anything's possible. - GA
    [/b]
    Greg,

I understand what you're saying about fuel prices, and they have been on the decline around here the last couple of weeks, but I'd still budget an extra 15-20 percent for fuel. Let me know when you guys are leaving, and we'll make arrangements on that door.

Perhaps it was a mistype...The track-sanctioned test day is actually Thursday, Nov. 9.[/b]
    Thanks for the catch, Butch, it was a mis-type. TRuck will be leaving Tues or Weds in order to be there Weds night for the THURSDAY test day.

Let me know when you guys are leaving, and we'll make arrangements on that door.[/b]
    Bill, that will be determined at the last minute, but I will let you know. Plus, since I won't be driving, it may be at the desires of the driver; I may not have much to say about it unless you can meet them at a convenient stop along I-81 (we refuse to drive down there on I-95 ever again...) - Greg

Matt will be forced to drive the rig down, and would certianly love to have company (Dave...? Melissa...?) [/b]
    Keep me up-to-date with Matt's/your plans. One of my friends booked a flight down there with a free ticket, so I'm going even though I won't be driving. Currently our plan is to drive down, but this would save me a few tickets along the way.

From last year...
    Tires - $1,200 (but in reality I had some used tires for the test day and plenty left over from the race which was used this year.)
    Food - about the same as normal
    Entry fee and practice day
    Camped the first night (Burr!!!) and stayed with Tim Rogers & the gang
    Traveling down - $500 (did the ride share program with Greg and Matt)

I won't include the damage that ocurred to the car during an incident while at the event.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Budget? What's that?

Seriously, it could easily exceed $2500 by the time I add in tow gas, decent food, my airfare to get down there (I drive back), etc.

Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers