<SNIP>
Why are you sending them out, buy the wheel bearing tool from Snap On or AST and do it yourself. You can even do it on the car without removing the strut. I have had my press tool for 15 years now and besides my pen that tool has paid for it&#39;s self 1000 times over. If you do a lot of work on VW and Audi&#39;s, hell any European car that is, then this is the tool to have, even works on some of the other import cars and american iron too. BTW be carefull if you lend the tool out, mine has come back broken or bent a couple of times. Try to fing someone that has one and use it before you buy it, once you have used it you may question hou you lived with out one. I think the tool # is YA8450 but Snap On&#39;s web site sucks for info or pictures.
Jon
[/b]
Okay, so first I PM&#39;ed Jon for more information about this tool as I need to do a similar on the daily driver and figured any tool that would let me take the entire job in-house isn&#39;t a bad thing. That, and I&#39;m a sucker for new tools. Then I got bored while waiting to hear back from Jon, so I tried to find out more for myself. Such is the power of the &#39;net, a fast connection, and a slow day at work.

There wasn&#39;t a Snap-On listing for the tool Jon described, but there was for a YA9240. Unfortunately, it is no longer available. Calling Snap-On produced a link to the original manufacturer of the tool, Schley. Schley no longer makes the tool either, because they couldn&#39;t compete with the "cheap Chinese importer who was cloning the thing." That led me to said importer, OTC, who still manufacturers / imports / supports slave labor /&#39; whater to have the thing - the OTC 6537 Hub Tamer Elite ( http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=1736 ) It truly looks like a neat tool to have.

Sadly, it lists on the far side of $650, but can be found on Amazon and e-scam for between $200 - $300. A local distributor had it for $450. Ouch. That puts my usage and ROI out around the great-grandchild range. Dang. It looks like I&#39;m taking it to the local machinist after all.