Raymond...

I looked and looked for Bilsteins for the Coupe. Turns out they don't make a sport shock right now for these cars, so I managed to source some used Bilstein sport front shocks made for an Audi 4000 quattro. They fit the housings and have the inverted design. For the rears, again, couldn't find a listing for Bilsteins for the coupe, so I had some blown out VW Rabbit rear Bilstein Sports and as it turned out, they fit the CGT as well.

Now that I had "cores", I wanted them revalved to handle the "Blethen" spring rate setup and so I called Bilstein in California (they also have an office on the east coast, I later found out). I talked to Jack (competition / rebuild supervisor at 858-386-5900) and told him what I wanted. He had me fill out a sheet with the exact specs for the car and what rates I'd be using, then I sent them in. I didn't have an exact idea of what rebound / compression I should be using, so I left it up to the techs there.

It took two weeks and they completely custom-valved the set for the car. It would have been $65 a corner for the rebuilds, but the shafts on the rear were bent, so I asked them to replace the 12mm shafts with 14mm units. That cost a bit more because they had to do some machining, but seemed a bit sturdier.

The only thing I had to do was trim the bumpstops (which are actually on the_inside of the hollow tube that's normally the bottom of the shock). I've got pics if anyone wants to see what they look like.

Anyway, all said and done, the shocks seem really well suited to the suspension and really made a difference on the car. I've only got one weekend on them thus far, so I can't comment on how well they take abuse just yet either. My car sits a bit higher than yours (ok, quite a bit), so you might have to talk with Jack about that (shortened stroke / shaft?), but it might be worth a try.

Seems to be reasonably priced and I believe he told me that they can rebuild just about any "non-crimped" shell Bilstein whether they're HD's or Sports or whatever. Potentially that means you could find used units from people then have them revalved at will like you want them...