Well now I'm confused, is the current list on the SCCA website correct? To specify we are taking about 94-95 GT's. I don't think any allowances should be made for a particular car beyond weight adjustments, I was just comparing an IT spec car against an AS spec car. In regards to development, the drag racing guys have been racing this engine/chassis combo in the NHRA stock class since 1978 and there is tons of data developed before the aftermarket made things easier.
As far as leaving them out in the first round, who is the SCCA catering to? While BMWs are quite popular, mustangs and civics must make up at least 45% of the entire auto aftermarket. Look at the wild success of NASA's classes that are tailor made for them, while the SCCA is busy classing nissan maximas and making adjustments in production for sprites, fiats and alfas. Those cars were so unpopular when factory supported, the manufacturers are either out of business or left our market. The success of the American Iron class has grown a booming aftermarket in mustang and f-body suspension pieces that early trans-am and asedan never could. I would be just as happy not having these cars in ITR but rather in a more logical asedan ruleset. The current rules create a lot of needless expense in regards to wheels and brakes and have left the GM cars with underpowed drivetrains.
I am sorry for the rant, but as an outside it is difficult to watch the SCCA moving around the 1275 spridgets when they are missing a great oppportunity.