What I would do? What Dick said, or just outright move the car to B. In fact there are few MR2's in the country that can even keep up with the top few ITB cars at the current weight.

Jake, to respond line item:

1. In my "built to the hilt" scenario I already assume that I'd build the minimum cage. There may only be one or two MR2's in the country that are using the smaller tubing - Norm Floyd is the only one I know of, and he just built that. IMHO, the larger cage tubing should be made mandetory for all cars, older cars could be grandfathered. The SCCA should NOT be encouraging people to build to the minimum.

2. 14x6 wheels are as cheap as dirt. Heck, the stock wheels are 14x5.5. In either case, that's a whole lot cheaper than selling my 87, buying an 85, or building a new cage if I have an 85. If someone wanted to make a competitive car - building an ITB MR2 is cheaper than trying to get down to an unrealistic weight.

3. True - but honestly there are so few people running these cars anymore there isn't much of a concensus. However, the car in ITB makes the car MUCH more attractive to build.

4. Same boat as RX7? Sort of. The biggie I see here is HP. I have seen REAL dyno charts of what an MR2 can muster legally. 108RWHP with VERY costly builds from expert builders. The 1.6L does not make much power with a legal IT build. Compare that to what an RX7 can do (135RWHP?) and I'll be racing the rookies and blocking the leaders when I get lapped.