I'm not denying the quality of the car or the driver. Everyone knows that the Van Steenburg's don't show up at the track with anything less than a spectacularly prepared car and they can drive the wheels off of them. But I also believe that there's a reason why of all of the new classifications and weight adjustments for 2006, this is the one that seems to be getting the most discussion. There's probably a reason for that. Lay out the specs of a 1.8L Miata and a Integra side by side, then add RWD to the Miata and add ~225lbs (can't remember the excat number) to the Integra, and it's pretty clear. Hell, if I ever thought my ass could ever fit in one, I'd consider building one myself.

I understand that Roebling may be very, very fitting for a Miata but come on, 1 second ahead of the ARRC winning car? I'd buy half a second maybe. Also remember that those Integras are carrying 115lbs more now than they were last year.

I haven't been that up in arms about it because I'm confident that it'll work out. There are going to be several very good 1.8L Miata efforts showing up at tracks this year with great drivers. I believe that by the end of the year, we'll get a good indication of what the results end up showing one of these cars can do when fully prepped and properly piloted. If they show to be "on par" and competitive, than bravo competition board! If it shows that they're winning everything and busting track records, the competition board will/should adjust them accordingly at the end of the year as they promised to with all new classifications.
[/b]
Alex's time was last year, before the weight, I'll give you that, but I still say throw out Roebling, at least until it gets some decent pavement. Front drivers have about 3-5 laps before they pick up a death-push there as the track is now.

I am pretty sure that the 1.8 is faster than the 1.6 (obviously) but I really don't think it will be a killer on a track like Road Atlanta, or VIR, etc... I think between the lack of torque and the horrendous aero they will turn out to be GOOD cars, but not cars that can run away. The goal of the ITAC, in other words. Every car right now seems to have a strength and a weakness...perfection!

As it stands right now, if money were no object, here is what I would be thinking:
Short Race = Integra (but it better be short, because I think you guys are gonna have trouble keeping tires on 'em)
Medium Race = NX2000 (Greg will win the ARRC this year if you don't beat him Kevin, if he can keep it together and custom-build every part on the damn car!)
Long Race = Miata, Miata, Miata, Miata! I like me some enduros. I think when I finish my 1.8 it will be fast enough to stick around and watch the battle for the lead at the ARRC, and capitalize if someone screws up, but put it in the lead coming out of turn 7 at Road Atlanta and it will be about 3rd or 4th by turn 10!