Thread: Hans or Isaac?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"2.5 Adjustment and release mechanism(s) shall be accessible to both the user and to external personnel such that no additional motion is required, other than the release of the seat belts, to disengage the Head and Neck Restraint System during emergency situations."

Scott,

Interesting that the driver is not mentioned. Good point. Also, I'm not sure what is meant by "disengage". In the end it won't matter; if SFI doesn't want you to have a sticker, you don't get a sticker.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

"2.5 Adjustment and release mechanism(s) shall be accessible to both the user and to external personnel such that no additional motion is required, other than the release of the seat belts, to disengage the Head and Neck Restraint System during emergency situations."

Scott,

Interesting that the driver is not mentioned. Good point. Also, I'm not sure what is meant by "disengage". In the end it won't matter; if SFI doesn't want you to have a sticker, you don't get a sticker.
    [/b]
    I read that quote and thought that the Head and Neck Restraint System was still engaged for the HANS. The HANS is still attached the helmet. What does it have to be disengaged from? We are asuuming belts and/or driver, but it doesn't state that.

Greg, you are probably most correct in the "if SFI doesn't want you to have a sticker, you don't get a sticker." Which is pretty sad at best.

BTW, I am an Isaac wearer, I understand it is illegal within SCCA competition today (single point of release), and I'm daring someone to protest me. Don't worry, I have another stupid SCCA GCR rule to fire back with, just in case.

Jeremy

(anxiously awaiting info from SCCA BOD on this decision, as well as any response from Isaac to current users of their product, should SCCA outlaw them)
    "It's a fact..."

...BTW, I am an Isaac wearer, I understand it is illegal within SCCA competition today (single point of release)...[/b]
    Jeremy,

You are 100% legal. The GCR only mentions harnesses, and says nothing about H&N restraints.

Your other points are well taken, and thanks for being an Isaac user.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Jeremy,

You are 100% legal. The GCR only mentions harnesses, and says nothing about H&N restraints.

Your other points are well taken, and thanks for being an Isaac user.
    [/b]
    Greg (and Bill),

I'm not trying to start up another argument on here, but this is what I was referring to, from the April - 2005 FastTrack:
    3. Allow the Isaac device (Loesch). The CRB addressed this last year and found that the device does not comply with GCR section 20.4 (single release). Further, there now exists FIA and SFI specifications for head and neck restraints. Major sanctioning bodies including the SCCA are considering adopting the specifications, and both preclude the use of the Isaac.

I do not have a 2005 GCR handy to read section 20.4, but the on-line 2006 GCR does not appear to clarify anything about that, but does state "harness" and nothing else. Nor can I find anything else in print in regard to this.

Has this been further clarified? I remember a conversation I had with the Comp Board in April of last year that strongly suggested that Isaac (and others) fell into this trap.

I'm still running my Isaac. Thank you Greg for helping us all out on these issues!

Jeremy

"It's a fact..."

Scott,

[/b]
    Gregg,

The way the little article was written in this month's SPORTSCAR sounded more like the 3 SFI approved H&NR device or none at all rule is a done deal in November of 2006, rather than just a proposal. Maybe I misread it.

Has anyone brought up the point that with guys who race open cars (spridgets, spitfires, etc.), even with the HANS, there is no single point of release for the driver, but rather 3 points, because of the arm restraints?
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN