Well, I too am sorry to hear Kirk's thoughts. I have spoken with him (and Bill Miller and Greg A.) on the phone and respect his historical perspective as well as the analytical nature of his positions. I know that this won't make ANYONE happy but I think my stances bridge the two camps.

I really try and read the literal word. THAT is where the grey-area-operators work. While I don't build in the grey, some do, and rules need to be examined with that in mind. I try and support rules that support the written and the intent.

Let's take the two latest issues:

I was against SB's and .040 pistons for everyone because I didn't feel the written rule allowed them. 2 distinct sides gave their opinions and there was no consensus. Same dynamic happened on the ITAC con-call when these issues were on the agenda. What did we do? We looked to the CRB for INTENT, then committed to write the rules so that we turned grey into black and white.

The SB's do exhibit some creep IMHO in that an allowance was added that wasn't there to begin with (tack-welding). I explained why this was allowed in the SB thread. IF you are going to specifically allow something, it doesn't make much sense to make it unnecessarily cost-prohibitive (maybe ECU's will follow or get cut at the knees).

The current ITAC is very aware of creep. It would seem we allow it where it makes sense and we feverishly protect against it when there is no benefit. If the CRB had come back to us and told us that SB's were never intended to be used as bushings, we would have written language that specifically prohibited them. Same with the .040 deal. Times change, and we have to go with the flow WHILE AT THE SAME TIME knowing our history and staying grounded. Lots of things have been done in the past they we don't agree with, and the same will be said for what we have done by future groups. We can only hope to do our best.

I really think that IT has never been a better place to race.

Maybe a new thread on what rules are still grey or open or just plain suck...and we can work on them in 06 for 07. Having said that, don't ask for something to be clarified/closed up unless you are prepared for it to go against your current thought process...

AB