Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big news from NASA regarding National Championships

...unlike another actor who had a short, though unspectacular, career with Sharp - some guy named Cruise. For a season or so, he ran a (I seem to recall) SSA Nissan ZX. Qualified up front and crashed out, as often as not.

We now return you to the thread, already in progress.

K

They have already PO'd a lot of folks - notably Honda Challenge entrants on the east coast - with the Toyo spec-tire announcement. [/b]
    I was told that NASA N.E. is not using a spec tire in HC. Is this information not accurate now? It was obtained very recently.

If that's true, if I race at a local track then make a trip (7 hrs) I might need to run a spec tire while the whole time be running in the same class? That's silly.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

...unlike another actor who had a short, though unspectacular, career with Sharp - some guy named Cruise. For a season or so, he ran a (I seem to recall) SSA Nissan ZX. Qualified up front and crashed out, as often as not.

We now return you to the thread, already in progress.

K
    [/b]
    UNspectacular????

Are you kidding me?!?! I was at a bunch of his races that year, and I have to say he was VERY entertaining! The paddock was a big giggle, but the first lap of the race was NOT to be missed, although more often than not it was over at the first turn. I didn't see him qualify up front often, but he would nearly lead for a split second somewhere around the first quarter of the first turn. Then he became a bowling ball, and the Sharp guys would roll their eyes and pound it back together....!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

NASA has a tricky balancing act, but it may be easier due to it's freedom from preconceived notions and lack of historical comparisions.[/b]
    I think any freedom they have to make changes is due less to preconcieved notions, and more to to the NASA ownership structure. The NASA powers (a largely unnamed group that is often referred to in e-mails and messages) has the ability to make changes as they see fit with little or no participation from their customers. Witness the death of Pro Sedan (or mercy killing depending on your point of view) and the phoenix-like arising of Pro Touring. No advance word to any racers, just here it is. The morphing of the Vette-Viper challenge into the GPC (?) was much the same. The appearence of new classes works in the same mysterious way. Want a spec class for your 1981-84 4 cyl Leftovermobile? No problem. Give us some rules, find someone to maintain them and there you are. Doesn't matter if there are 5 of the cars in competiton in America. NASA lists approximately 71 separate classes on their web site, and I would guess they would be willing to add more, but I'm not sure what might be left to classify.

So while SCCA works to cut down the number of different classes, enhance the competitiveness of cars, and classify new cars into existing classes in a fair way -- NASA gives most everyone a chance to be a race winner.

These are definitely 2 totally different approaches to the sport. Maybe they are trying to solve different problems, or maybe it is just NIH carried to a different form.
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

Two different NASA regions contacted me indicating that they'd make IT2 a class, a couple years back when we were beating that drum. I needed to "bring 3 cars" but it just didn't seem like the right way to go.

That issue worked out (watch an ITA race this season) and the rest of the 71 classes in NASA will evolve as motorsports Darwinism takes hold. I STILL challenge the premise that creating a class simply because someone asks for it is a formula for longterm success. Yeah, there are like five guys who think IT Truck is the coolest thing in the world but would they be racing something else if they didn't have that option? I kind of think, "yes."

That said, once I got past some of the goofier aspects of Performance Touring (I've been saying "Pro" which isn't right), somethign occurred to me: There's only a 2-point cost for seam welding, making PT a possible place to road race a rally-prepared car. Hmmm...

K

SCCA = See Cruise Crash Again
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

well the 510 he bought from bob sharp and the used tr6 was the group 44 car they sold him when they went to the tr7. not exactly nickel and dime. good thing he had the talent to justify the good equipment.
    [/b]
    The value, in cents, of "nickel and dime" would be '5' and '10', but naturally, you knew that. :P
    Now, as to the tr6, was McComb's car a "new" tr6 or was it one of the ex TR250, ex FI-TR6s :119:

I would never dispute that the guy has and had alot of talent and the best equipment money can buy (remember the BProd ferrari he had?).

The value, in cents, of "nickel and dime" would be '5' and '10', but naturally, you knew that. :P
    [/b]
    nope, I totaly missed the reference

Now, as to the tr6, was McComb's car a "new" tr6 or was it one of the ex TR250, ex FI-TR6s :119:

[/b]
    Well I thought it was built as a new Tr6 but I could be wrong. I was at atlanta when newman won with the tr6 beating the group's tr7. there was a lot of pratical jokes goin on. newman hired a plane with a banner that said "sixes beat sevens" I was told the tulious delivered the car to newman with concrete in the tires.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Regardless of what each region is allowing for tires, suspension etc... If you are going to run at the nationals, your car will need to be compliant with the national rules. That's the way I understand it. Here's the rules.
    http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.html

Have tried to contact "The NASA powers" numerous times via numerous ways... no responses. None.
    Do we know any of the "powers"
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

What kind of info are you looking for?

As I understand it NASA-NE is going to follow ECHC tire rules (though no NE races are ECHC points races). Additionally I understand ECHC races will all be open tire in 2006. Only time they have to run Toyo spec is if they go to nationals. (So two sets of tires shave one to 2/32&#39;nds for practice/qualifying and another for qualifying and national race... big savings when you have to shave a long wear tire down to one race depth to compete! anyway another topic)

For those running NASA-NE/PDA keep in mind that Phil&#39;s is the tire service at those events.

Webmaster you want to talk to jerry probably : jerry aat drivenasa dut com

Don&#39;t have the celebrity history you guys do but I did get to watch Tim Allen drive a Neon straight into the turn one wall at the St. Pete Grand Prix quite few years back.
    Ed.

What kind of info are you looking for?
    [/b]
    I&#39;m not at liberty to discuss it publicly. I will contine to attempt contact with them. They have to surface eventually.
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

Well, Jerry is probably your best bet. Call the office 510-232-NASA

I was told that NASA N.E. is not using a spec tire in HC. Is this information not accurate now? It was obtained very recently.
    [/b]
    Come and race with us in H5. We, the driver field will not give you a hard time about the rubber you are running on.

Z
    LoBuk ITB CRX Si
    2007 NASA H5 National Champion
    2006 NASA H5 National Champion
    2005 ECHC H5 Champion

Have tried to contact "The NASA powers" numerous times via numerous ways... no responses. None.
    Do we know any of the "powers"
    [/b]
    Jerry Kunzman is the head guy of NASA and Run Nor-Cal Division

Ryan Flaherty is also one of top guys and run the So-Cal Division

his email is rflaherty(at)drivenasa.com

I have spoken with Ryan a few times about various issues as Az region folks often run So-Cal events due to the proximity.

Not really sure what you are planning.
    Joe P.
    Porsche 944 Racer