Proposed wording lifted from A Sedan rules:

For carbureted cars removal of wiring associated with a component which may be removed by these rules is permitted. All non-essential wiring may be removed. Existing wiring may be substituted.

Essentially, from a procedural point, the category has had a big "reboot", so to speak.

[/b]
I can see that argument

It is easy of course, to eliminate certain circuits that aren't needed, electrically, which should ease any reliability concerns.
[/b]
It may be easy to eliminate circuits that are not needed but it is not legal under the present rules.

How can the rule be written that would ease the maintenance of harnesses, but not eliminate certain populations of the category?

-Alternate connectors providing the same function?
-Piggy backed wires?
[/b]
I don’t know the answer and am open to any possibilities. Just allow all non-essential wiring to be removed. I chose to use the A Sedan wording because I felt the CRB would know the effect that wording has on building and maintaining cars, at least with carbureted cars.

I see your point, but I think the inclusion of the ECU cars exemption will be a stumblling block.
[/b]
I understand, but those are the cars that I am told are the cause for concern of unintended consequences.

I understand your concern for equity but I can build a safe reliable harness for my old car that will provide all the necessary functions in about an hour with no performance advantage other than maybe 15 pounds of weight. (I will get a hard number for my harness later today) I hesitate to estimate how long it would take to restore the harness to factory quality. There is however a concern that allowing this would create a huge opportunity for modern technology cars. I am trying to find one small step to make it easier to compete in low cost cars without upsetting the balance of competition. I do not see this a modification that everyone will have to do to be competitive. Just a step to make life easier.