Thread: Curious about KA24DE classing.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do you mean when you said "similar mods to an FC"? I assume you mean fellow competitor. Not to play devils advocate but similar mods effect differnt cars in different ways. I agree that the cars are down on horsepower to the top cars in class, but again at certain tracks the torque and handling of the 240sx has, at least in my experience, been able to overcome this somewhat. I do feel that this car requires me to be a better driver to compete because of the lack of more HP. I guess this is why NASCARteams have so many different chassis' for the different tracks.
    [/b]
    Yes - a fellow competitor. And yes, I agree - the mods DO make power differently on each car. e.g. the FC's have a header/exhaust combination that makes a 28% gain over stock. Supposedly JUST with that header/exhaust change! And the individual I was considering for comparison doesn't have this top of the line job - he has the 2nd or 3rd best option.

For comparison:
    my car: JWT ecu, HotShot headers, 3" header-back exhaust, electric fan, 160k motor
    his car: header, 3" header back exhaust, elect fan, open filter air intake, 120k roatree

As to the handling-vs-power, driving 240's on track since I first started DEFINITLY made me appreciate proper driving style and keeping speed through the corners (compared to others I know that started out with AWD pitch-and-catch driving styles). And the 240 does seem to corner on par with the Miatas....which does say something about the car considering the weight difference.

In places like Nelson Ledges - the car can hold it's own pretty good, since there's so many long turns - and the track tends to favor handling (and proper shocks!!....holy bumpy!) over power. But at places like VIR full course - the gain through the twisties is offset quite easily by that looooonnnnggg back straight!

joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX

Yes - a fellow competitor. And yes, I agree - the mods DO make power differently on each car. e.g. the FC's have a header/exhaust combination that makes a 28% gain over stock. Supposedly JUST with that header/exhaust change! And the individual I was considering for comparison doesn't have this top of the line job - he has the 2nd or 3rd best option.

For comparison:
    my car: JWT ecu, HotShot headers, 3" header-back exhaust, electric fan, 160k motor
    his car: header, 3" header back exhaust, elect fan, open filter air intake, 120k roatree

As to the handling-vs-power, driving 240's on track since I first started DEFINITLY made me appreciate proper driving style and keeping speed through the corners (compared to others I know that started out with AWD pitch-and-catch driving styles). And the 240 does seem to corner on par with the Miatas....which does say something about the car considering the weight difference.

In places like Nelson Ledges - the car can hold it's own pretty good, since there's so many long turns - and the track tends to favor handling (and proper shocks!!....holy bumpy!) over power. But at places like VIR full course - the gain through the twisties is offset quite easily by that looooonnnnggg back straight!

joe [/b]
    As you probably know, this is a tough comparison. The rules don't allow for any internal mods to the rotory, except for upgraded seals. Common theory can be applied to these - they run fast when loose - almost best when they are about to pop. Just bolting on a good exhaust, open intake and a FPR can get you some nice gains. It's a chainsaw ya know!

I think the ITS S14's are one of the best looking cars in ITS...would love to see one up here in NE with some of the momentum tracks we have. I just love the coupe look of the S13 as well. They are sooo cool. Tristan's car is one of my favs.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

For comparison:

joe
    [/b]
    Yeah, VIR is a tough place when the really fast guys show up!! But it's only 30 miles for me so I show up, drive my butt off and hope for the best.

Keep the info coming!!
    David Murphy
    Murphy Motorsports
    ITS 240sx
    Carolina Cup Pro Series
    www.murphymotorsports.net