Originally posted by ddewhurst@Jan 20 2006, 02:59 PM
Scott & readers, the following was posted by Jesse Prather (yes, motor shop but we ain't going to get this classing deal completed withoput the support of some KNOWN [sorry Scott] people.) on the Production site. Getting Dave Lemon & Mike V. from ISC racing would also help. Dave & Jesse worked on some serious words & pictures & presented for the description of Street Port to the CRB. Don't recall the results from the CBR/BoD but as porting stood previous nothing described Street Porting dimensionally......... The thing that is important to the IT rotor motor (all motors) is that it's an air pump. Air is allowed in & air is allowed out. The classing proposal at this time allows zero porting per the IT motor rules. But there is still a lot of increases that come from the carb, intake manifold & the exhaust. I my humble judgement we (Scott) need to include in the classing request (even tho the info falls under rotor motor IT rules) alternate intake manifold & carbs that allow increasing or decreasing air flow. We need to SHOW that we are not trying to get a class beater including providing a process to slow the car or speed up the car. I know for sure that a Spec 7 car with the OEM cast iron exhaust outlet ain't going to beat a G Production car. I can't say horsepower because then the nay sayers will jump on their white horse & ride to Topeka. Yes, I am making light of the nay sayers (not ment to be a personal putdown) but if the car is classed I will do my IT car to the max G Production car allowed & do my best to make the car proud.
Posted by Jesse:

Whew, you guys are really after it this time. Sounds like groundhog day again.

When I discuss the potential of a certain car, I like to use the fastest of a certain group of cars for the "bar". Take an ITA first gen car. Require stock fenders and an 8 X 13 inch slick which I believe will fit under the body work. Limited prep suspension just like IT and you have a starter GP car. This car will NOT beat a front running GP car.

You can start with a stock transmission only and adjust as needed. Basically an IT7 car with slicks.

I won't get into HP numbers because those don't prove jack.
On the other hand, I don't see the first gen. RX7 as a savior for any class anymore. They did the job for EP and now have gone away in the BIG numbers we used to see. FP is the up and coming class now.

There is an exemption for the rotary engine in all classes to run pump gas. On the plus side. An IT7 engine will run for multiple years if treated properly without a rebuild. I do hate those pesky Nikki carbs though. I would go for a Weber 48IDA and start the chokes small to start with. If the CRB would every consider this I could come up with some dyno information that is used on a certain National Champonship GP car and do some IT 12A work. Hmmm. We'll see. Sounds too logical.
[snapback]71386[/snapback]
Thanks David,

Great idea and will start contacting Rotary engine builders when I am off the road and have more time that I am stealing here.

BTW, the engine in my IT7 RX7 is now 4.5 years old and has not been apart since it was built by Prather Racing summer 2001. I beat the hell out of this engine everytime I drive it and it keeps coming back for more.

Thanks again David