Originally posted by Matt Rowe@Jan 20 2006, 11:45 AM
First, I want to say congratulations and thank you to all the ITAC members for working on this. I think it's a big step forward.

Now for the second guessing.

Okay, so looking down the list of affected cars I have to ask. Did every currently classed car get run through the process? It appears that the list is biased to the cars that are either newer or more popular. Am I reading too much into things? Could this also be a case where the CRB selectively allowed/disallowed changes line by line? There were only 43 weight adjustments and 4 cars that were moved to a different group. Out of 300+ cars classsed I doubt those were the only changes needed, especially when the older cars are the ones more likely to be classed under different assumptions etc.

Again, thank you and please don't take these comments as overly critical. I'm just trying to understand IF there was any preference given to newer or popular cars and what the reasoning behind that might be.
[snapback]71404[/snapback]
Matt,

Good question. All the cars were looked at. The issue is that we had to determine what line to draw in the sand in terms of when we wanted to recommend a correction. In MY mind, when a car was ~100lbs out of whack according to the process, it got separated and looked at very closly for inclusion on this list with a new number (up or down).

Some exceptions to that thought process exist. The 1.6 Miata only gains 50 or so pounds. I thought that was a good idea for a couple reasons. 1. The process says it should weigh that, and 2. There are enough Mazda-conspiracy-theorists in this club that I wanted to make sure we were where we needed to be on that car, especially seeing as how I think there will be an exodus from SM in the near future. I can expound on this more if it gets anyones panties in a bunch.

I can't say this enough, we aren't trying to balanace the category on the tip of a pin here, we are just trying to have each car looked at through the same pair of glasses. I think it is a great basis from which to move forward.

YMMV.

AB