Thread: G Production Proposal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here is my gut reaction and .02 cents. In theory it's a good idea. The reality is I think it's a bad idea. If your goal is to transition from IT to Prod that could be done going into EP with your current IT car. Would it be competitive? No, but you can do it. With your proposal would you be competitive? I don't think so. You would still need all the fiberglass, suspension, fuel cell, cage that a EP car has. The only cost you are trying to by-pass is building an engine. In the long run you would only save 1-2k as compared to converting to EP. Not to open another can of worms, but would you allow the hat style rotors the EP cars get? Is the consensous that with 13x7 slicks will not break the hubs? What about Mazda starting to reduce the 12A stuff? I think it would be great if you can get it classed, an I wish you the best of luck.

Eric

Originally posted by wlfpkrcn@Jan 13 2006, 08:12 PM
    Here is my gut reaction and .02 cents. In theory it's a good idea. The reality is I think it's a bad idea. If your goal is to transition from IT to Prod that could be done going into EP with your current IT car. Would it be competitive? No, but you can do it. With your proposal would you be competitive? I don't think so. You would still need all the fiberglass, suspension, fuel cell, cage that a EP car has. The only cost you are trying to by-pass is building an engine. In the long run you would only save 1-2k as compared to converting to EP. Not to open another can of worms, but would you allow the hat style rotors the EP cars get? Is the consensous that with 13x7 slicks will not break the hubs? What about Mazda starting to reduce the 12A stuff? I think it would be great if you can get it classed, an I wish you the best of luck.

Eric
    [snapback]70877[/snapback]
    Thanks for the response.

I think David has responded to several of your points already so I won't rehash them. My car is E Production legal now. In fact it can be ran in GT2, GT3, and E Production and it most likely will be rented out this year to someone that needs a start and a finish.

To me the difference is cost and that includes the following:

Ported Engine - $2000-5000.00

Depending on what you start with and who does the work this can be pricy. I have a good motor now that would just need a refresh and porting.

Racing trans - $2500-6000.00

The reality of a ported motor is a racing transmission. Not just because to the need to have close ratios but also because of realiability. We have a couple of racers that tried 626 boxes behind ported motors and they killed them pretty regularly. By the way, the best deal I have seen is a Jerico Y2K box that came from NASCAR Nextell Cup that was used for road race qualifying when qualifying boxes were allowed. It has REM'd gears that are narrowed and the shafts are all gun drilled. The box cost about $2500.00 used and Jerico makes an adapter. Unfortunately the flow of good used Jerios has dried up a bit because Nextell Cup teams switched to another brand of transmission. Anyway, this box is major over-kill behind a rotary and has been stone realable.

15 Inch Wheels and tires - ?

First I have to buy wheels I don't have and then buy more expensive tires. Consumables is one of the things that I considered with this proposal.

Body Work - ?

The smaller 13" wheel and tire combination should fit under mildly modified stock fenders. To save weight I will build my own glass fenders.

So far parts have not been a problem for me. I bought two 85 RX7's in the last two weeks for peanuts. One is for parts and the other is a good street/raceacar candidate. So I don't think RX7's are at the point of being hard to maintain.....yet.

Thanks again and good luck on your project.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17