Originally posted by Jiveslug@Dec 30 2005, 01:27 PM
Thats actually a pretty interesting idea, Jake. The only potential problem that I can see with it is in regards to the same reason why we pull airbags from racecars: preventing accidental activation. In my somewhat limited track experience, Ive noticed that you can get jarred pretty easily from hitting curbing, maybe some light contact, rough racetrack, etc. If you can find away around that issue, it would be a good step.
[snapback]69590[/snapback]

Non-newtonian fluids, specifically, dilatants. You know, the famous cornstarch-water experiment we all do in school.

If you use a liquid that reacts more rigidly, but only under higher agitation. Put that in a gel "balaclava" under or attached to the helmet and over shoulders, and under the belts. Under significant loads it becomes semi-rigid, but under normal conditions it is a fluid allowing full range.

It works equally well under side load, when the head is turned, chin tucked, sticking out your tongue, etc.

I just thought, F1 guys would like it b/c it would help relieve some of the strain on thier necks under heavy accelerating or braking.