Thread: head and neck restraint required

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On helmets, it generally works out to every 10 years or so. Snell 95 helmets are still good this year even though Snell 05 helmets are available. I would expect that 05 helmets will be a requirement next year (along with an SFI approved H&N system?).
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

Originally posted by pgipson@Dec 22 2005, 06:32 PM
    On helmets, it generally works out to every 10 years or so. Snell 95 helmets are still good this year even though Snell 05 helmets are available. I would expect that 05 helmets will be a requirement next year (along with an SFI approved H&N system?).
    [snapback]68994[/snapback]
    snell95 is only good until the end of 2005. snell00 is the oldest allowed helmet cert for 2006. (for bmwcca cr and scca)

i found that 4yrs was about the max use i got out of a helmet in active racing use. interior got, ah, worn. the chin strap started fraying. the foam definitely compressed a bit as it fit much looser.

Originally posted by mlytle@Dec 22 2005, 05:22 PM
    ...i found that 4yrs was about the max use i got out of a helmet in active racing use. interior got, ah, worn. the chin strap started fraying. the foam definitely compressed a bit as it fit much looser.
    [snapback]69017[/snapback]
    We were chatting with several helmet folks at PRI and confirmed that, industry wide, about 25% of racers purchase a new helmet every year, so the 4 year replacement cycle is average.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Originally posted by gsbaker@Dec 29 2005, 11:52 PM
    We were chatting with several helmet folks at PRI and confirmed that, industry wide, about 25% of racers purchase a new helmet every year, so the 4 year replacement cycle is average.
    [snapback]69531[/snapback]
    whoooo hoooo! i am average!!!