Thread: Porsche 944S

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

as while we are off on 944 tangents.....

What is the trick to make clutch replacement easier?

Originally posted by JimLill@Dec 7 2005, 05:31 PM

[snapback]67539[/snapback]
    there is no real easy way IMHO.

All of them I have done was when the engine was out of the car.
    I have one to do for a friend soon. They say you can do this without dropping the trans. Leave the axels hooked up and remove the mounts so you can pull it back,unhook the shifter rod/one set screw. Take the four bolts off the T-tube. This is supposded to leave you enough room to move the bell housing and have enough room to side the clutch off the splines forward. I guess the bolts on the T tube lets you move it up or down. dont forget to pull the fork off the bell housing,I know you knew that. Never did it this way so just second hand info.
    If all else fails,drop the trans and you have lots of room.

I have dropped a trans and put it back by myself in one hour so this is my method the other sounds like 90+ % of the same work.

My oil pan is trick so I can move the engine forward over the cross beam if needed. A stock one will still come forward a few inches. Gets around the U bolts on the T Tube and the rust/exhaust.

Cut out the spare wheel well and rig it to pop back in. Lots of room to slide the trans back there,best idea I had all day.

Lawrence

Originally posted by latebrake@Dec 7 2005, 06:03 PM
    there is no real easy way IMHO.

Cut out the spare wheel well and rig it to pop back in. Lots of room to slide the trans back there,best idea I had all day.

Lawrence
    Yeah, I was wondering about various holes in the floor pan being of help.... how about up front?

Originally posted by JimLill@Dec 7 2005, 06:08 PM
    Yeah, I was wondering about various holes in the floor pan being of help.... how about up front?
    [snapback]67545[/snapback]

If you are asking bout the holes in the rear deck,I used them to lower the trans with cargo straps once. Made some extra ones forward,helps if you are working alone.

not sure about what you mean about up front. Its pretty much all required stuff up there(bell housing/fly wheel/pressure plate/bearing and fork.

You can cheat the T tube spline with the connector at the trans coupling. Two allen sets and move it all onto one side of the tube splines. good for about three inches.

The pain is the ass is the t tube housing. it has EARS that keep it from moving and they will only allow you to slide the housing back a few inches. If you have to do this a lot with one car you can mod the tube and cut these off. A plate between the bell housing and the engine with four holes will let you use hime joints as a motor toqure arrestor and do the same thing at the bell housing for the trans. No engine or trans movement at all,still allowes you to keep the soft engine and trans mounts. Drop the whole thing in record time. Dont know if you can do this in IT.

Lawrence

Originally posted by JimLill@Dec 7 2005, 02:31 PM

[snapback]67539[/snapback]
    Pay someone else to do it.
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com