Thread: what to look for in a cheap tow vehicle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hmm.. A box truck. I would never had thought of that. And wouldn't you know, Uhaul actually lists trucks for sale on their website. I like the idea of my truck and trailer being 1 vehicle. Since I have no plans for actually using the vehicle outside of towing, it sounds like a perfect idea. And hell, if anyone needs a moving van, I'll have them covered. The idea also has Dave's approval, as he said he'll buy a real trailer if I buy a box truck. Apparently he's go some crazy idea about me towing his car.
    -Jon Quimbaya
    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Angry

Originally posted by tcpip@Dec 1 2005, 11:02 PM
    Hmm.. A box truck. I would never had thought of that. And wouldn't you know, Uhaul actually lists trucks for sale on their website.
    [snapback]67164[/snapback]
    Box trucks or step vans make great tow vehicles mainly b/c they're cavernous and allow you to not only carry all your "stuff" but also allow you to build some living quarters inside if you so desire. A friend (who may ultimately post here) uses a box truck as his tow vehicle and loves the utility. The biggest downside to using such a vehicle is, as Bill mentioned, insurance. I have enough trouble convincing my insurance company that my F350 is NOT a tow truck per se and that I'm not secretly running a business. With a box truck or step van, the road is even more uphill and several insurance companies simply will NOT insure such a vehicle except thru a commercial account (read BIG bucks).

In order to save you from death row, do NOT buy a used rental truck and especially not a U-Haul truck. Of all the rental fleets, U-Haul trucks are by far the most abused and least maintained. Budget is a bit better b/c they aren't as well known. Penske is the best of the bunch b/c they offer commercial rentals which tends to mean that their fleets get routine maintenance as opposed to having oil added when the truck stops running...
    Haz-Matt Racing