Originally posted by Bill Miller@Nov 21 2005, 05:36 PM
Mark,

Not to continue the hijack of this thread, but if that Honda had all those known issues, why wasn't it protested by other drivers? The VIN# one would seem to be a slam dunk, and pretty easy to verify. As far as Derek's issue, did anyone check the VW parts database to see what that p/n crossed to?
[snapback]66151[/snapback]
Bill,

I don&#39;t know. I wasn&#39;t racing in that class anymore by then, but I did watch the "race" from the sidelines. It was funny watching an ITC Honda draft with Sam Moore&#39;s Volvo and pass SM&#39;s down the straight at Roebling. <_< Nobody in the class seemed to be too concerned about it at the time, which I thought was odd. And boy was Scott sure unhappy about what he found after he bought the "SIC Winning ITC Civic".

But it sure seems like Derek&#39;s had a big ol&#39; bullseye on his butt this year, because people have been after him from the get-go.

You&#39;ll have to ask Derek for the specifics on the part number. All I know is that his didn&#39;t match the manual and he couldn&#39;t prove the number that was on the one he had came on a 1.7 Scirocco.

Back on topic:

ITCed: once you determine the proper camshaft and airflow meter for the 1.7 Rabbit, I&#39;d suggest the usual IT engine prep procedures to find horsepower. Balance, match port, get a good exhaust header, put a crank-scraper in the pan, etc. Clearances on the mains and rod bearings can be opened up a bit to release some hp, the VW&#39;s are good about having enough oil pressure.

Good luck!

MC