Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Run Off's or ARRC

Strange, I always thought that a spectator was anyone who watched whether they participated in any other capacity concerning the event. Now, if you take that person, and give him no responsibility other than to watch and enjoy, does he not become a spectator? If a track/region/sponsor/etc., advertising or not, charging or not, allows people to enter within the confines of the race track for the purpose of watching the races, does that not make him a spectator...whether or not it's a regional race, national race, or professional race?
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

when we ran the first IT festival in 1990 at Heartland Park, Doug Reed (SCCA executive in charge of club racing at that time, a full time position in Denver) came over to my paddock and started a conversation with me about having the Runnoffs at Topeka. I got the sense that even then the idea had a lot of momentum at National. He expressed the opinion that Topeka would be a wonderful venue. I told him that in no uncertain terms I thought it sucked.
    phil hunt

Originally posted by charrbq@Oct 3 2005, 09:41 PM
    Strange, I always thought that a spectator was anyone who watched whether they participated in any other capacity concerning the event.
    [snapback]61716[/snapback]
    Negative, Chris. Anyone who signs into the event (signs the SCCA or otherwise waiver) is considered a participant, bound to the SCCA GCR. That includes entrant, driver, crew, volunteers, etc. As a general rule, a "spectator" is anyone that gets onto the track property without signing any waiver, for the express purpose of watching the event.

If you put your wife on the crew list to get her in free, she's a participant, despite all she may do is pull up a lawn chair and watch the race; if she walks in the track on her own, whether she pays an admission fee or not, she's a spectator. - GA

As first seen, the NASCAR-SCCA quote used the word "fans" rather than "spectators" - I tweaked it to better fit the context here. Greg's right about the critical distinction, as far as the Club is concerned.

There was a movement back in the '80s, the idea of which was to have each division host a couple of "showcase" spectator Nationals. I think that the Memorial Day Double in NW Region was actually an official "spectator" event a couple of times but the insurance issue raised its head, perhaps with different expectation$ by the track owner, for events that were "supposed to be generating revenue from spectators."

K

Originally posted by GregAmy@Oct 4 2005, 11:08 AM
    Negative, Chris. Anyone who signs into the event (signs the SCCA or otherwise waiver) is considered a participant, bound to the SCCA GCR. That includes entrant, driver, crew, volunteers, etc. As a general rule, a "spectator" is anyone that gets onto the track property without signing any waiver, for the express purpose of watching the event.

If you put your wife on the crew list to get her in free, she's a participant, despite all she may do is pull up a lawn chair and watch the race; if she walks in the track on her own, whether she pays an admission fee or not, she's a spectator. - GA
    [snapback]61728[/snapback]
    I stand collected and reshamed. Apparently my sarcasm was lost in the transmission. I am wholly recanted.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic