Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pressure reg mounting

Default Fuel pressure reg mounting

Where have you guys mounted your fuel pressure regulator? I've got the holly one that has two out puts and I'm not quite sure where to put it. One person awhile ago told me to yank the hood latch, install some hood pins and put it there. Is it legal to get rid of the hood latch though?

I don't have an adjustable pressure regulator but I would think that at the firewall near the secondary fuel rail would be ideal. As far as the hood latch, I seem to recall that it can be removed but I am going from memory, not the GCR.

You can remove the stock hood latch.

It's kind of a wacky spot since about 3 inches down from the top of the fire wall there's a 1/2" seam sticking out. Maybe I can make a couple cuts and flatten a portion of it out to make the regulator fit.

There is an L shaped bracket to the right of the hood latch, and it has a nut welded to it...all you need is a 10mm short bolt, and a simple plate that mounts to the regulator. Seemed like an easy spot to me. I can send a digital pic next week, packing for the Glen now...

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I put mine on the driver's side strut tower.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

***there's a 1/2" seam sticking out. Maybe I can make a couple cuts and flatten a portion of it out to make the regulator fit.***

Ben, just because I toasted my car don't mean I ain't keepen an eye on you. Rules my man, rules. Ya been telling me how yer refurbing the car to be legal & ya can't just go cutting & flatening my man. Between the carb & the incoming fuel line use some rubber hose on each end & a couple tie raps. The second out put is a great place to attach a T & one side of the T is for a pressure gauge & the other side of the T is for a fuel sample little shut off valve (hardware store stuff) & line.

By the way my full time job is finding another chassis. Rusted out pieces of $hit in the Northern Midwest. Anyone have a GOOD 1st gen RX-7 chassis just waiting to be used ? I can see it now as it's going. $5OO for the chassis & $1,000 to ship it to Wisconsin. That is a (cost) & a (no rust)

Have Fun
    David
    [email protected]
    1-414-453-0929

If I remember correctly, this Ben has a 2nd gen (FI). I think that would mean the regulator has two inputs (not outputs), meant to come from multiple fuel rails. I plumbed my rails in series (like the factory plumbing) and plugged the second regulator input, since I don't think there's any danger of the fuel lines being undersized for the HP of this car.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

Marty, there are two racing Ben's that frequent this site with bensomething names. benracin the one I know from Minnesota with a 1st gen & a benspeed with a 2nd gen.

I think
    David

ps: I ben wrong before.

So David, is your regulator just hanging by fuel hose?

Oh yeah, it's an 83 ITA 1st gen car. Sorry!

[This message has been edited by benracin (edited July 22, 2005).]

***is your regulator just hanging by fuel hose?***

Ben, I wouldn't call it hanging. There is a short length of rubber fuel hose from the in steel line to a 90* fitting at the bottom of the regulator. The piece of rubber fuel hose connected to one of the regulator out ports is slightly longer but the whole deal is not floppy. Then there is a good tie rap connected to the 2nd outlet T fitting (the T fitting for the pressure gauge/fuel sample port) to the 90* bracket that the clutch line/hose is connected to. With my blueprinted carb I have never had a fuel issue of any sort. No pause in left handers or anything.

Have Fun
    David

Sounds awesome David. I like the simplicity of it. Now I just need to wire the spark plug in the exhaust so that I can shoot flames and we're on to something.

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    Marty, there are two racing Ben's that frequent this site with bensomething names. benracin the one I know from Minnesota with a 1st gen & a benspeed with a 2nd gen.

I think
    David

ps: I ben wrong before.
    Sorry, guess I had them reversed.

Marty, if we do something sooner or later we are bound to make an error. If we do nothing we will never make an error. I can handle an error or two per week.

When these two Ben's post I always do a double take before I respond. I responded to benspeed once thinking I was responding to benracin.

Have Fun
    David

I know this is an old thread and not specific to mounting the regulator but what fuel pressure are you guys running on a 1st Gen?

Thanks,

Tom Sprecher

Originally posted by tom_sprecher@Sep 8 2005, 03:26 PM
    I know this is an old thread and not specific to mounting the regulator but what fuel pressure are you guys running on a 1st Gen?

Thanks,
    [snapback]59879[/snapback]
    I'm running the Mallory unit - real nice looking, expensive, billet, expensive.... you get the picture. It has a provision for releasing the overpressure back to a return line to the tank that I liked, so I spent the extra bucks. Works good, just wish it was a little less pricey. Did I mentioned it seemed a bit expensive?
    R. Bostrom
    ICSCC #155

It depends...what carb are you running?

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Sorry for the delay, I forgot I asked this question. The stock carb.

Tom Sprecher

Anybody have any input as to what fuel pressure to run on the Nikki carb?

TIA

Tom Sprecher

from what I have seen the answer varies from 3 to 6 psi depending on who set up the carb, if the number is too high the floats are overcome and the car floods. usually when you get back on the gas the motor stumbles. If the pressure is to low you lose top end power.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7