Originally posted by charrbq@Aug 20 2005, 05:50 PM
I'm not too concerned about the New Beetle, although, I've heard the Turbo Diesel is a sleeper (lol). But the same VW I ran against in Atlanta just romped and stomped my favorite 4 time ARRC champion in Carolina...both days. He (the VW) had the fastest lap in the Atlanta SARRC and the ECR, although he won neither. When he past my ailing car in qualifying, he was running with the ITA cars. I understand they are coming out of the woodwork. Might not be a bad thing for the class to add more cars, but not a good thing to have an absolute dominate model.
[snapback]58705[/snapback]
The 1.7 Scirocco II is definitely the VW to have in ITC. The 1.6 Scirocco is so overmatched now. The 1.7 has 8% more displacement than the 1.6, which will lead to a proportional increase in hp. It gets the GTI gearbox, which I would make an educated guess is worth 1-2 seconds a lap depending on the track. And if it got the GTI gearbox, did it get the vented rotors? All for a 70 lbs weight penalty. The Scirocco I 1.7 is in ITC at the same weight as the Scirocco II 1.7 but doesn't get the GTi gearbox so it'd be pointless to build one.

And Charrbq, Derek's right about Gareth's times at Kershaw. I ran 2:00's in my 1.6 Scirocco several years ago at Kerhsaw and the tires are even better now, so a really good ITC car should be running in the 59's at Kershaw now.

MC