Thread: Top 5 cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Seth,

When you go to the track, take a look at how large the various fields are. In the N.E., there are only about 5 ITC cars at an event compared to 25 plus ITA cars. The more cars in the class the better at least in my opinion.

ITA – the Integra is a nice car. The neon could also be interesting.
    ITB – it might be tough to find a pre-built one, but the Accord Lxi and Audi are very appealing.

If you go with an MR2, be careful of which year you get as there are weight differences. Jake F. has an MR2 and can not get down to the minimum weight and he is not a big guy.

One other thing you should keep in mind when looking at cars is how much each car will cost to continue racing it. For example: my Prelude is pretty hard on tires and if I can get three race weekends on a set of tires I’m happy. On the other hand, (at least with Jake’s) the MR2 can go on, and on, an on with the same set of tires.

No matter what car you choose, I’m sure you’ll have a blast!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Hola, welcome to the mad obsession that is grassroots road racing. Heh. Ive been a lurker/poster here for about 4 years now and am just NOW beginning my racer project, which, if all goes well, I should finally be buying the donor car tomorrow. Granted, Im taking it from a bit of a different angle in that Im building my car. I know, it goes against all of the advice I have heard from others, but then, Im mentally unbalanced.... just ask anyone on here. Its a really good idea to head out to the track and talk to folks, so go for it. Ive done that a couple of times and have found it to be extremely helpful. Not only do you get lots of good info, but you get to start building relationships with your soon-to-be fellow racers. Here is a few things that Ive come across in my research over the past several years:

1. Its usually better to go with a car that has lots of people who run it and has aftermarket support. Helps you solve any problems that may come up and makes getting to the track easier. Granted, Im not following this advice either. Heh.

2. Im a big guy too, so take your size into consideration when getting the car. Im not so much talking about weight as I am about if you will actually fit in the thing with a helmet and roll cage. The car Im looking to buy is a little short on headroom from the factory, but that is more of a function of a thick headliner and seats that are mounted high in the cabin. Should be fine when I build it into a racer.

3. Ive decided that buying a car that has a proven record of reliablility is a good thing, especially when starting out. This has two major effects on your racing. The first is that you will spend less time fixing the car and more time driving it, and the second is that it will be cheaper to race it because you wont always be buying parts.

4. The less exotic, the better. Ties into #3 because the less exotic the car, when you DO break something, parts will be easier to find and they will be cheaper.

5. When you finally buy your racer, I would take it to a few track days and autocrosses even before you take to a regional. That way you get a good idea of what the car handles like and what its strengths and weaknesses are. The sooner you familiarize yourself with the car, the easier and safer it will be for you to drive.

As far as class goes, I decided on ITB as the best compromise between cost/performance/competition. The cars are not as high-tech as the A and S cars, and they dont eat up as many consumables because of their slower speed. Both of these factors make A and S cars more expensive to run. The B cars are not slow, so they are a good compromise between C and A in performance (in my region, the Bs can usually keep up with the Spec Miatas). While there may not be as many Bs in your region as As, there will be more Bs than Cs, so that will give you some good competition. Finally, since there are a lot of different cars that can be competitive in B, I think its the most diverse field you will find.

Im sure there are a few other things I could throw on here, but I dont want to be writing War and Peace. Hope some of this helps!

Jive
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Formerly building ITB Corolla
    Now building ???

"I remember the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?'"