Originally posted by tom91ita@Aug 12 2005, 11:54 AM
but how do equate a 3 hp compressor start-up in rush current requirements with the peak vs. steady load rating of a generator?

i am also considering just going the bottled nitrogen route for tires and miscellaneous impact requirements and going with a small generator for recharging items and lighting, etc.

any recommendations for how big for use at the track or brands?

tia, tom
[snapback]58289[/snapback]
Well, depending upon the type of motor, it can take an initial spike of up to 2x the current to get it going.

I also have to second the ONAN, stunned that ONAN wasn't mentioned earlier in the post. I have an older 4kW emerald plus, a friend has one of the newer micro quiet models. They are pricey, and if I didn't have one already built into the tow vehicle (RV) I would probably do without...

I bought a small compressor to bring to the track, too damn noisey and worthless for powering air tools. I don't like to have to wait for the thing to fill back up 3 times to change 4 tires. We have enough time between sessions that I can use a standard ratchet and torque wrench to change tires...no need to be that lazy. For a compressed air source I bought a Nitrogen bottle and regulator for less than the price of the compressor I returned to Lowes. It takes zero electricity, stores in the same amount of space, no noise pollution, a $7/refill has last 6 race weekends so far.

Inverters; go big enough to be of any use for compressors and you'll be needing a jump start in no time at all.